The Host ¤ The Next Chapter: 2

Healer taught me everything I needed to know about living in my human body. In human tradition, we clothed our bodies in garments every morning to conceal ourselves. It was optional to change the style of garment every day. Night clothing was for sleeping only and we could wear that countless sleeping patterns before it had to be washed.

Another detail that I had to pay attention to: I must clean this body in a device called a shower to stay healthy. If I didn't, substances called sweat and grime would build up on the surface of my skin and leave an odor. Long periods without a shower could lead to health concerns. Healer told me it was absolutely neccessary to take a shower once a day because of this.

I also had to keep this body healthy by feeding it nurishment three times a day. The morning meal time was meant for grains and obtaining calcium. This could be fullfilled by eating ceral in a bowl with milk. My body's second feeding time would take place during noon. It must be fed a larger portion of food, preferably a sandwich or soup of some sort. The third meal must be the largest and consist all of the food groups in the evening. I could tell when to eat these meals by looking at a device that keeps time, a clock, or by looking at the sun.

With eating, there must also be bathroom trips. If I did not relieve this need, my body would for me. Healer told me that I should always go early to prevent 'accidents'.

After I sat up on the cot, I was brought clothing to cover my body. White underclothing went first. The pants made out of a frabric called jeans went on the bottom half of my body. A green T-shirt with white flowers upon it went on my upper half. 

When I was properly dressed, Healer led me to a room that would be mine for the week. It was right down the hall from the operating room. This way, I could call on Healer Sunshine whenever I needed her. A Seeker would stay outside my room to make sure I stayed safe.

My bedroom was plain. The walls, cieling, and floor were all white. It had windows on the exterior wall, but only one door to enter and exit through. A bed with white covers sat in the corner. A kitchen sat in the other. From my bed, I could view the television by using the remote. The Tv sat on the opposite wall so I could watch it while in bed.

I lived in this room for one week, abiding by the Healer's rules. Every so often she would visit with me during the day to see how I was doing. She enjoyed hearing that I had taken up cooking from the Foods Network. However, she told me to take caution. If I cut myself, my body could die from infection.

The first dish I made was spaghetti. Water must be boiled in a large pan. Salt could aid the process. When the liquid boiled, then I could put noodles in for fifteen minutes. In another pan called a skillet, you had to brown meat before adding tomato sauce. Once the noodles were cooked, you drained them in a strainer. After returning the noodles to the pan, you spread the meat sauce overtop. It was customary to eat this dish on a plate with a fork. 

I learned many different ways to cook food this way. The television told me exactly what I needed to do and for how long. 

Another day, I tried making vegetable stir fry with chicken. I had just cut up the vegetables and set them aside. All that was left to do was chop up the chicken and add it into the skillet. I placed the first piece on the cutting board and set the knife.

My hand slipped from the cooking greese and I cut my finger.

Imediately, a red substance started welding up in the area. I watched it for a moment. Healer Sunshine had never told me what this stuff was although my mind informed me it was blood. I decided to go show her the wound and see if she could patch it up.

I exited my room, nodding to the Seeker who stood outside. He nodded back and respect, but did not stop me from seeing Healer Sunshine. The room where she worked was only twenty steps from mine after all, so he could watch me from where he was.

"Healer." I called as I entered the room, holding my hand in front of myself.

The blonde woman I had come to love and adore spun on her heels to face me. "Oh my goodness!" she exclaimed. "What did you do to yourself, darlin' ? I told ya that ya need to pay attention to what you're doing." she scolded me, but not in a harsh way.

Healer Sunshine went over to her cabinient of sprays and collected the neccessary ones to cure me.

"First, we'll use No Pain so ya don't feel anythin' when I used Cleanse and Heal on ya." she lead me through the steps as she brought the first spray to my hand. A layer of No Pain was used on my finger. "Next Cleanse to keep infection out---We don't want ya dyin' from any diseases that ya could pick up---and lastly Heal to close the wound."

I watched as each spray did as Healer Sunshine told me it would. By the time she was finished, there wasn't any sign that I had cut myself. I looked at my hand in awe.

Healer looked at me with a sigh. "Promise you'll do your best to not hurt yourself again, sweetie?" she asked.

"Of course, Healer." I agreed.

The blonde woman put her hands to her hips. "I must say, you are a strong one. All other Souls panic when they first see human blood from their host bodies. The humaniod memories, ya know? They throw them into a panic." she stopped to watch me, then smiled. "You can go darlin', I was just talkin' to myself."

I nodded a farwell to my Healer and exited through the doors. 

Healer Sunshine had acted oddly. I never saw her look in such a way at me before. Was I different than others? Did that imperfection cause her worry? 

I returned to my room, storing these thoughts in the back of my mind. The Healer would only want what's best for me. I will continue to learn before asking questions.