Rain without Mark

Warning: SADNESS

It had been two hours since he left. Two hours without his happy voice that would fill the apartment. Two hours without his deep laugh the filled me with joy. Two hours of silence. Well not complete silence.

I was sitting on the window sill looking out at the rain pattering against the glass, and I hadn't moved since he grabbed his keys and ran out the door. He didn't hear the rain.

He loves the rain. Last time it rained he was sitting were I sat, his head pressed against the glass and and his eyes closed. He was so peaceful. He loved the rain because it made him peaceful. But he wasn't peaceful as he ran out the door without his coat. He didn't hear the rain.

I looked up at the grey clouds hoping that he was too. Maybe then he would hear it. Maybe then he would hear it and run back home to get his coat. Then he would find me sitting where he sat and sit with me and be peaceful. Three hours of silence. He didn't hear the rain

A clock somewhere in the apartment struck 2 am and a girl somewhere else struck the glass she sat next to. She hit her fists against the window screaming and crying and the hours where no longer silent. With every hit, a new memory flooded her mind. Thrashing the insides of her head. Her whole life had been full of noise until she met him. Her whole life, she had done nothing but talk and shout and scream, but once he appeared she started to listen and now that he was gone there seemed like there was no point. She beat the glass that separated her from the rain and the rain beat back,hammering against the window and trying to drown out her noise. Trying to be heard.

I fell down, defeated, my head pressed against the window. I fell back into a peaceful mind and sat. Four hours of silence. I heard the rain.

I think I sat there all night, until the rain stopped. It stopped and I stood. I walked from the window to my door and from my door to the stairs. I walked down the stairs and through main door where he was sat on the step. His hair and clothes wet and his eyes closed. I sat down next to him and we looked up at the parting clouds. We heard the rain.