Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - MR. STEVENS' P.O.V

"You can sleep in my room."

For some inconceivable fucking reason, the audacious invitation that I thought I'd reserve for a future date passes through my vocal chords. Lilly looks taken aback, and her hesitance in responding makes me wonder if I should have curbed my audacity.

"Is that a proposition?"

Technically, it was a proposition. But I knew that she wasn't thinking of the word, nor my invitation, in a positive manner.

"It's a solution."

"For a floozy?" She scoffs. "What the hell kind of girl do you think I am? I can't except an invitation like that."

I raise a brow, my cerebrum picking up on her discomposure. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about sharing a bed with you on our first date; I can't do that."

The corner of my mouth curves upon deducing the reason behind her agitation. "My, my, my, what a dirty mind you have. You defiled my suggestion. What kind of perverted ear canals do you have? I said that you can sleep in my room. I never said that I would sleep in there as well."

"Oh."

She averts her eyes from mine, looking utterly embarrassed. Delight supersedes the guilt prodding at my conscience. I was seeing a new side of Lilly today -  a blushing, flustered, adorable side. Never before have I experienced such dereliction from a mere smile or a rosy cheek.

She opens her mouth. "Where will you sleep then?"

"In the guest room."

"You shouldn't have to sleep in that spider lair because of me."

"It's fine; I'm not afraid of spiders." I shrug. "There's always the couch too."

"What if I just sleep on he floor?"

"You think I would let you sleep on the floor?" Hell no. "What kind of man do you think I am?"

"I could put a blanket down and-"

"On hardwood floors?"

She groans. Our objections to each other's ideas are drastically reducing our options. Somehow, things are going accordingly.

"I have an idea." Without elaborating, I go into the guest room and gather Lilly's belongings before turning off the light and closing the door. "Follow me." I push the door to my room open and leave it so for her to enter. Some people seemed hesitant or nervous to let people into their rooms. But I didn't mind her being here at all. The fact that Lilly is currently in my room is bringing such an ineffable feeling to me. I can't help but grin while my back is turned to her.

"This marble is beautiful. What is it, Bardiglio Imperiale?"

I turn around, raising a brow when I see her hand on one of the posts of my bed. "Is there anything you don't know?"

"Your deepest, darkest secrets." She grins and I shake my head before I am charmed by her splendor.

"Well, I for one have no idea what it is. I'm not a marble expert. How do you even know what type of stone it is?"