Chapter 8

Lucy POV:
As I walk into my house I get a horrible feeling.

I look around the room wondering where my father is. Relieved that he's not around, I walk upstairs and head towards my bedroom.

When I open the door I become utterly terrified.

My father sits upon my bed, impatiently awaiting my return.

"Where have you been my disgusting little girl." He snarles.

Of course, I don't answer.

As if immediately, he rises up from my bed, rushes towards me, and smacks my face.

With my door still open, he pushes me against the wall in the hallway and angrily barks, "This is what you get for being late... again."

My father then grabs me by the hair. I struggle to get loose, but miserably fail in the process.

He then brings me to the edge of the stairs and kicks the back of my legs.

As a result I go tumbling down the stairs. Sadly, I hear my father's laughter on the way down.

"I WISH YOU WOULD JUST DIE!" My father screams.

He walks down the steps, get close to my face, looks me dead in the eyes and whispers, "And I can very well make that happen."

He then kicks my chest, which causes me to lose my breath, and then goes off into his room.

Fearing for my life, I run, well limp, to my room as fast as I can.

Once I enter, I lock the door and throw myself onto my bed.

"Why me? Mom, I'm sorry... it's my fault..." I cry as tears stream down my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up on this Friday morning feeling sore and depressed.

Getting up from my comfy, tear stained bed, I dress myself in my school attire and head out into the hallway.

When I arrive at the edge of the steps, I cautiously peer down. Once I determined that the coast was clear I quietly walk down.

I quickly exit the house feeling glad that my father wasn't awake to stop me.

Once I get outside I start walking to school, but my body still aches from the beating I received last night from my father.

"Ughhh.. my body really hurts." I think as I walk somewhat slower than usual.

When I approch Natsu's house, I notice him waiting at the bottom of his steps.

"Hey Luce!" He greets me.

"Hi!" I reply back.

When I reach him, he starts walking beside me.

After a couple minutes of getting weird glances from Natsu, he finally asks, "Are you okay?"

Confused by his question I ask, "What?"

"Are you okay, Luce?" He repeats himself.

"Um, yeah of course!" I lie.

Obviously not buying my lie, he grabs me by the wrist, which causes me to stop.

Natsu then looks me dead in the eyes and says, "Lucy, please tell me what's wrong."

His eyes show concern and confusion.

I look away from his eyes and state,"Um... it's just that my body hurts a little." I admit.

Still holding onto me, Natsu questions, "Why?"

"I... um fell down the stairs..." I say, leaving out the part about my dad.

He holds me by the shoulders and exclaims, "What?! Are you okay?! Did you break anything?!"

"No, I'm alright, just a bit sore." I answer.

He then pulls me into a hug and let's out a sigh.

"Jeez Luce don't scare me like that." Natsu says.

I blush at his words.

"I'm sorry." I respond.

He pulls away from the hug and smiles at me.

"It's fine! Now, let's get to school." He declares.

"Okay!" I say back with a smile.

"If it means I get to spend time with Natsu... then I'll take the beating. He's the only one that has made me feel happiness in a while... and I don't want to lose him." I admit as my heart continues to beat fast.

"Natsu, thank you for worrying about me." I quietly whisper.

"You're welcome." Natsu exclaims with a smile.