Chapter 12 - Bruises and Burns

Începe de la început

Tori nodded.

"Why are you here? Don't take that as an insult, I'm just asking because Dawson does the medical shit," Levi explained.

"He just went upstairs a few minutes ago. And it's not like I'm doing anything major. I'm just dabbing a cool, damp cloth on your forehead."

Levi groaned.

"I'm going to fucking kill Hunter. That's so humiliating," he groaned.

"Whatever the hell has hurt you isn't important. Whatever beat you down isn't important. It's about how to build yourself back up that matters."

"When the hell did you become so-" Levi paused to think of the right word. "Deep."

"Philosophical is the word you're looking for. And what do you think Darcie and I talk about all night? She and I stay up talking about deep and meaningful shit."

"You two don't sleep? God. You two are going to turn into Hunter."

"We do sleep, it's just that the group's curfew is too early for us so we stay awake and talk for a couple hours before falling asleep."

"Wait a minute. Go back a bit. Did you say that Hunter doesn't matter?" Levi questioned.

"That's not what I mean. I mean that Hunter punching you and knocking you out doesn't matter. What matters is that you don't let this affect everything you do."

Levi sighed and wasn't convinced.

"Think about Kaylie."

That got Levi's attention.

"What would happen to her if you became emotionally weak? She would need to turn to someone else as a role model. She may turn to me. That wouldn't be bad. But what if she turned to Hunter or Darcie as a role model-"

"Don't continue. I don't want to think about how terrible Kaylie could turn out. Imagine if she turned out like Darcie. Or worst, Hunter."

"Okay. Now, I want to smack you."

"Why?"

"You insulted my best friend."

"But you-"

"I can insult her because of our relationship."

Just then, the door opened. Darcie was latching onto Dawson's back. She was making his life as difficult as she possibly could. However, he wasn't struggling because he was built enough that it was nothing to him.

"She said let no one down here!" Darcie growled.

"Tori, am I an exception?"

"Well you are the medical expert so-"

Darcie flipped Tori off as she jumped off of Dawson's back.

"You ready to go?" she asked Tori.

"Where are we going?"

"Hunter disappeared this morning and no one has heard from him. He didn't do his weird little walker run and people are starting to freak out. You and I are supposed to go look for him. Once Dawson's done his last few tests with Levi, he and Anthony with be going out, then Travis and Leo will head out."

"Wait a minute. We're leaving Levi here alone. Need I remind you what happened the last time someone was left alone?" Dawson asked.

"I'd prefer if you didn't, but we're leaving Kaylie with him. And before you say 'But Travis is still recovering. He's lucky I'm letting him hang out upstairs,' he and Leo are taking the closest ring and being extra careful with Travis' condition, Tori and I are taking the surrounding ring, and you and Anthony are supposed to check the surrounding forest going as far as the backup base," Darcie explained.