Chapter 2

The week has flown by, and it's already Thursday. I'm getting ready to leave for work when my phone starts buzzing. A picture of my best friend, Angela, appears on my phone.

"Hello?"

"What are you doing tomorrow?" she asks, completely bypassing greetings in her excitement to tell me what she has planned for us this weekend.

"Nothing, but I have a feeling you're going to tell me."

"Hunter and I are going to that club we've been trying to get into for weeks."

Hunter is Angela's boyfriend, and I have no problem with him or anything, but ever since they started dating, I've hardly see my best friend anymore. They moved in together last month after have been dating for almost a year, and since then I've only talked to her a few times and have hung out with her even less.

"I called in months ago, but I got put on a waiting list. And Hunter knows someone that works there and got us moved to the top of the list. Do you want to come? I already asked Meghan and Christin; they're in."

I remember when she first found out about this club and she never stopped talking about it. If it's half as amazing as she makes it to be, it should make for a fun night. "Yeah, sure. What time are you guys leaving?"

"Hunter and I will pick up you and the girls around ten or so. Sound good?"

"Yeah, just text me when you are on your way."

"I will. Bye Jas, see you tomorrow!" she says with a squeal.

"Bye, Angela." I hang up with a smile and change out of my pajamas and put on a pair of black leggings and a crew neck.

Nice thing about working at a book store is I get to wear whatever I want.

Coffee in hand, I make the couple block walk to work.

"Hey," I greet my co-workers at the registers.

"Hey Jasmine," a few of them respond, not looking to happy to be up at 7:00 A.M.

Me neither.

I walk around to my assigned cash register, and try to stay awake.

It's around noon, and I'm still checking people out, when one of my co-wokers, Peyton, says, "Dave wants you to put away these books. I'll cover your cash register."

"Okay, thanks," I say quickly. Cash register is the worst.

I happily take the cart of books from Peyton and make my way towards the bookshelves.
---------
Ugg.. so close.. if I could just reach a little higher... I give the book a little push, trying to get the book on the high shelf. I think I got it to stay, and I start to relax when it falls off the bookshelf and lands on my foot.

"Dammit." That hurt.

I bend down to pick up the book when I hear a deep chuckle behind me and a teasing voice say, "Still swearing I see. That's very unprofessional, especially when you're supposed to be working."

I spin around and come face to face with the guy I met a couple of days ago. The one with the suit. He looks exactly the same, and just as good as the last time I saw him; scruffy jaw, wild hair, intense blue eyes... He's in the same expensive suit except it's grey instead of black. And he's holding a book in his hand...it looks like Pride and Prejudice?

I blush and he doesn't ask, just grabs the book from my hand and brushes up against me. I can feel his warmth radiating off in waves and can smell his husky scent.

Being as tall as he is, he easily reaches up and puts the book away. He turns towards me suddenly. With his height, he towers over me by almost a foot. I inhale sharply at our close proximity, as there is only a few precious inches between us. He smirks at me before sweeping his gaze slowly over me from head to toe. He pauses a second longer then is necessary on my breasts before finally returning his gaze to my face. He licks his lips.

I step back quickly, almost tripping over my feet. "So, you like to read?"

He frowns and says, "Yes."

"Just literature?"

"Yes, that's the only type of book I've ever read," he says matter of factly.

Ever? Not even when you where a kid?

"Then how do know you don't like other types of books?"

His face turns thoughtful. "I just know what I like." He says it in a way that makes me sense he means something else.

I quickly change the subject. "Do you want to check out, or are you still looking?"

He looks down at the book in his hands. "I think I've found exactly what I'm looking for. Lead the way," he says, spreading his arm out wide, gesturing for me to go ahead before I can read too much into what he said.

I walk quickly past him, conscious of him right behind me as I lead him toward the check out area.

I can feel his gaze burning into my back the entire way there.
-------

"Go to number three." I tell him.

When I walk around to cash register number three, suit guy is already standing there with one hand casually in his pocket. He's placing his book on the counter in front of me when Peyton walks by and tells me, "Asher is here looking for you."

"Just tell him I already left for the day," I tell her, in hopes he will believe her and not come looking for me.

"I will," she says.

"Thank you!" I yell after her.

"Who's Asher?" Suit guy asks.

Why does he want to know?

"The guy I was running from the other day," I say with an eye roll.

"I thought he wasn't your boyfriend?" His voice is laced with irritation.

What is his problem?

"He's not. He just won't take a hint." He frowns at that.

"Your total is $9.57."

He pulls at his wallet and produces a ten dollar bill. As he is handing me his money, his sleeve starts to ride up his arm, revealing swirls that wrap around right above his wrist.

He wears suits and has a tattoo?

He notices me staring and nonchalantly pulls his sleeve back down.

I place his book in a bag and hand it to him. He wraps his hand around mine and leans forward, his minty breath hitting my face. "Thank you, Jasmine."

The only thing I can do is hold his gaze. He smirks and slowly lets go of my hand and grabs the bag from me.

He starts walking away, and I realize I still don't know his name. "What's your name?" I ask to his retreating figure.

He turns around and says one word before walking out the door.

"Jace."