Chapter Three: One step forwards, Two steps back...

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”

Robbie

I fell back into my seat, already bored out of my mind. Stupid Mr Vallor for failing me in English.... I thought to my self, pulling my phone out of my bag. I flicked through my messages, my inbox, facebook... with nothing to do, I started playing Snake.

“Oi, Rob, guess what bro?”

I smirk and glance up at Ethan Mitchels, shoving my phone in my pocket. “Hey, what’s up?”

Ethan’s green eyes go wide and he pushes his blonde hair off his face, running his hand through it. He pushes a lolly pop stick into his mouth ans sits on the desk in front of me. “Mrs. Grade is away. Apparently on some world tour type of shit. She’s gone for the rest of the year!” I can hear the excitement in his voice and I chuckle, relaxing in my chair.

“No shit? So, who have we got now?” Please not Mrs. Lee... Please not Mrs. Lee...

As if reading my thoughts Ethan’s eyes widen again. “It better not be Mrs. Lee. She has this massive...obsession... with us, aye! Oh no..” He groans and slumps into his chair, shaking his head.

“I heard it was some hot new young teacher.” A voice calls from beside me. Luke Butcher, my best friend since pre-school, falls into the seat across from me, clapping Ethan on the shoulder as he passes. “Yeah, someone said they saw her this morning or something... Apparently she’s not much older than us.”

“Think she’d go for a younger guy?” Ethan asks, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.He sighs and leans towards Luke, his eyes squinting suspiciously.“She’s probably fifty or something. You probably saw some new girl.”

“Nah. Five bucks she’s about twenty or younger.” Luke challenges, raising his eyes brows.

“You’re on.” Ethan says, laughing. “Do you think she’d go for me?”

“I dunno, why don’t you ask me?” Our heads whip around, taking in the new tutor as she leans against the doorway, a motorbike helmet under her left arm, a shoulder bag hanging off her right.

“Damn...!” Luke whistles under his breath as she makes her way to the front desk, placing her stuff on the table. Her long brown hair covers her face and falls to her waist in waves. Everyone faces the front, pushing their phones into their bags and I nearly fall over. They were never like this with Mrs. Grade.

“Oi, Miss!” I yell out, smirking. “Nice rack!”

Between a few strands of her long hair I see a smile form on her lips before she turns to the board. With long slender fingers, she grips onto a green white board marker and starts to write something in the top left corner. Harley... It says.

I frown. I thought we were doing Shakespeare? Luke is smirking and I shake my head at him. Suddenly his expression drops and his eyes go wide. I frown and glance back at the board.

The teacher has written a long list:

Harley James,

D.O.B: 27/5/95,

Brown hair- green eyes,

three younger siblings.

I frown... wait, she’s 17!!!

Luke and Ethan high-five each other and I notice a five dollar note slip up Luke’s sleeve. Luke’s smiling broadly while Ethan’s practically drooling as he watches the teacher move about the room. I think he’s forgotten about the whole losing-five-bucks-to-Luke thing already. I hear someone clear their throat and then I look up, noticing the new teacher standing at the front of the room, her hands on her hips.