Chapter 40

Not even 20 minutes into the dinner and I already want to throw my spaghetti at Lauren's face.

When mine or Shawn's parents try to ask her something about school, she'll try and brag that shes doing and I quote, "Sooooo goooood. I'm basically getting straight A's"

Who the fuck cares.

While she was saying all this crap, Sierra and I would just look at each other and roll our eyes or smile.

"That's very good Lauren. Keep up the good work." Manny said.

"Nicole, dame una servilleta, por favor. (Nicole can you give me a napkin please?)" My dad asked.

I didn't say anything, I just passed him a napkin.

"What language is that?" Lauren asked.

"Uh, Spanish." I said with raised eyebrows.

"Oh. Wow. Spanish is cool. I'm learning French."

"Congratulations." I whispered. No one heard me.

"Really? What do you know?" Aaliyah asked.

"Comment allez-vous?"

"And what does that mean?"

"It means 'How are you?'. I'm in French 2 at the moment. This is my second year taking it."

"Again, congratulations." I whispered.

"Oh, cool. Is there anything else you know?" My little sister asked.

"Um, Bonjour, mon nom est Lauren et je vis au Canada."

"I know bonjour means hello." I said and took a sip of my water.

"Can you speak Spanish, Nicole?" She asked.

Duh.

"Kinda."

"Alright lets hear it."

"I'm pretty sure people want to hear you speak French instea-"

"Oh no I insist." She said and smiled at me.

"Alright, uh, 'Mi nombre es Nicole, y vivo en Canada. Tengo dos hermanas, y también tengo mis dos padres. Quiero un perro para mis cumpleaños, uh, estoy en el décimo grado. El resto de mi familia vive en California. Soy Mexicana pero nací en Los Angeles. Quiero ir a Londres cuando tengo 18, con todos mis amigos, y otra vez con mi familia. Y finalmente, hay una niña aquí , el nombre no le voy a mencionar, que no me gusta , y ella está tratando de llevar a mi mejor amigo de mi.' (My name is Nicole, and I live in Canada. I have two sisters and have both my parents. I want a dog for my birthday. I'm in tenth grade. The rest of my family lives in California. I'm Mexican, but I was born in Los Angeles. I want to go to London when I'm 18 with all of my friends, then again but with my family. And finally, there's a girl here, her name will not be mentioned, but I don't like her, and she's trying to steal my best friend from me)"

My mom, dad, little sister, Si, and Manny all stopped eating to look at me, then to Lauren. Ha, they already knew it was her. Sierra had a knowing smirk on her face. Good thing Shawn doesn't understand as much Spanish as I'd hoped.

"And what does all that mean?" Lauren asked.

"Well I said 'My name is Nicole..."

"...I want to go to London when I'm 18 with all of my friends, then again but with my family. And finally, uh, I was watching this movie the other day about these's two guy best friends. They fought over a girl but ended up ending their friendship instead." I said and started swirling my fork around my spaghetti to try and distract me from smiling.