18. Yeah one flaw with your brilliant plan

Start from the beginning

"So we get close to this Zack guy and get an invite to the party. Easy enough." Cody says.

"Yeah, one flaw with your brilliant plan." I bite back. His eyes narrow.

"And that would be...?" He trails off, leaving me to fill in the blank.

"Tony's younger son. We need to make sure we don't run into him at all."

"Why?" Chase questions.

"Because he's more dangerous than his brother and Tony put together," I respond. "Luckily he's hardly ever home, but that doesn't mean he won't be keeping tabs on his family's activities."

"Great. Exactly how good is this guy?" Cody asks.

"Put it this way, if he and I went up against each other in a fight, we'd be pretty well matched." I can see in their eyes that they think they can take this guy. "But, if one of us were to get in a good enough hit, on the other, they'd be as good as dead." I pause. "And that's against me, no offense but we saw how well you guys can hold your own against me so none of you would stand a chance."

"How is that not offensive?" Jason snaps. I roll my eyes.

"You knew him didn't you?" My attention turns to Devin, "He was in the agency wasn't he?"

"Yes, I knew him. He was in the agency, Zack wasn't, but that doesn't mean he can't defend himself."

Devin seems to be pondering something before he speaks again.

"He was on your team wasn't he, he was the one that betrayed you." He states more than asks.

I look down. "Yeah."

"That's why Zero didn't want you on the mission alone," Chase speaks up. "And that's how you know Tony." I just nod in reply.

"How did he recognize your dagger, and not you?" He questions. I pull the dagger from my boot tossing it the air and catching it by its blade. I hand it to Chase. He turns it over in his hands.

"I've never seen anything like it." he mutters as he stares at the carvings in the handle and the silver blade. His expressions turns to one of puzzlement. "What's this scratched out?" he asks as he hands me the dagger.

"Nothing." I slide it back into my boot.

"Where'd you get it?" he questions.

"It was a gift." I spread out some more papers. "These are Zack's normal everyday routines, and schedules. All we have to do is pick a place to introduce ourselves."

We continue going over the papers, coming up with different plans and scenarios in case something goes wrong. We work for another two hours before Cody's mom enters, telling us that dinners ready and introduces me to Cody's dad.

I take my seat at the table, next to Devin and across from Cody, Chase sits on Cody's left, Hayden next to him, then his mom. His dad sits at the head of the table with his wife on his right, and Jason on his left. Hayden glares at me the entire time.

I listen to his dad catching up with the rest of the boys, before finally addressing me.

"So where are you from?" he asks politely.

"Where I grew up? Or where I was born?" I ask.

"Oh either one." He waves his hand dismissingly. I see all the boys leaning forward in their seats, waiting to see if I'll answer his questions when I never answer theirs.

"Alaska," I reply.

Chase's fork clatters to the floor. Cody begins choking on his food.

"You grew up in Alaska?" Devin asks, eyes wide.