I shook my head.

"I made a big mistake. But... we ended up arguing and I got upset and I..."

"You gave him the ring back."

"Yeah."

"Do you still feel the way you did when you left?"

"No." I whispered. "I miss Justin sorely. Aisha showed me a picture of the house he got for us and... now Maya's here and I realise that this is what I want. I want love and a family. I want Justin."

"He loves you so much, sweetie. What he did... it shows just how much he'd do for you."

"Sometimes he's just too..." my voice trailed off. "He wants to fix everything."

"He wants to make you happy. He just isn't sure how to sometimes; he doesn't know where the line is. Remember, Dileah, he's never been with a girl like you before."

"I just wish he wouldn't worry so much about me."

"He doesn't worry anymore. He cares."

I looked at my left hand and frowned.

"Why does a part of me think he doesn't love me anymore? I hurt him again and he was really mad at me when we last spoke."

"He loves you. Don't doubt that. He always will."

I shook my head.

"I gave him the ring back, Pattie."

"Things like this happen."

"And what if we get married and we have another big fight?"

"You will work things out."

She was right. The last thing I wanted was to land Justin in a hospital again.

"When did Maya come?" I changed the topic.

"She got here just this morning. Rose told me that the other couple couldn't take her because of legal issues so... she's all yours." Pattie smiled.

"Didn't Rose ask about me and Justin?"

"She did. I told her you were out of town and Justin was unwell."

"You and Justin lied to her."

"Because we knew that, despite what was going on, you really wanted Maya."

I smiled slightly.

"Justin had promised me that he'd do whatever it takes to make her ours." I said.

"He's a man of his word."

"Thank you." I looked at her. "I know I messed up and I was selfish but... I really wanted this, even though I ended up doubting it."

"I'm just happy to have you back, sweetie. I know that Justin will be happy to see you too."

I hoped so.

"How bad is it?" I asked. "What happened exactly? Aisha only told me the basics."

"Well," Pattie sighed, "he'd been down for some time since your... disagreement, and he'd been acting differently so I asked Richard to take him to see a doctor. He kept insisting he was fine so Richard and I let him be because he's a big boy. I went to see him one day and he was out of sorts... I argued with him about his health and he collapsed on the kitchen floor and Catherine called the ambulance. Turns out he'd overdosed on medication he'd been taking without us knowing and apparently he had also been taking in lots of coffee to keep him awake so he could work longer."

I frowned.

"It's all my fault." I said.

"No, sweetie."