Chapter 17

You would have thought I'd learnt my lesson about how to try and land a fall in the least painful way possible.

Partly, I had. I bent my legs upon impact, and kept bending them until I was on the floor and rolling, rolling.

My left foot hurt like a motherfucker, and I presumed a few toes were probably broken. But it wasn't so bad. I could walk, and I could run with only a little pain.

I tapped the hilt of my sword so it turned back into a ring. I then hit the rim of my ring and quickly nocked an arrow onto the bow. I took aim, and fired toward the rooftop; Phobos' back was turned and facing Nico, whose expression radiated pure anger at my drop.

The arrow whistled through the air, as I turned my bow back into a sword once more. I watched in anticipation as the arrow soared closer.

It dug deep into the immortal's left shoulder, and a yelp of pain sounded. Phobos spun around, his fingers closing around the arrow in his back. He glared daggers at me, as he yanked the arrow out with nothing but a flinch.
He held the arrow up; the tip was smothered in the golden glittering substance of his blood. More of it was caressing down his shoulder.
I was ready to fly at him and just slash with my sword again; again; again. I wanted to open that wound further, watch him drop dead of blood loss. It sounded harsh, but I wasn't bothered about how maniacal my thoughts were at that point. I was just so angry.

Apparently Nico was having similar thoughts, because while Phobos was facing me, Nico lunged at him and attempted to dig his sword into the open wound. My cousin jumped on his back and his Stygian Iron sword flew around in a flurry of madness as he attacked Phobos' shoulder.

"The others!" Nico screamed at me. I figured Nico had Phobos covered, so I turned my attention to my friends. Deimos was nowhere in sight, much to my frustration.

I rushed to the huddle of demigods sitting on the ground in an alleyway. Gods, this place was filled with alleyways.

I knelt down next to Piper and Jason, who were muttering to each other.

"Hey," I said softly. "Hey, you okay? What happened?"

Piper looked up. "Oh, thank the gods, Emily, you're here. I'm sorry we left you alone with Phobos. Deimos just literally stepped in front of us and-"

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not gonna make you tell me. It'll make it worse. You guys seem, you know, the most okay out of you lot. Can you help me?"

"Course. But, I mean, we've tried." Jason said.

"Of course you have. But Nico's handling Phobos pretty well I think, and Deimos is nowhere to be seen, so we've got a little time. What could we tell them that's the opposite to what they saw? You know, to reassure them everything's okay?"

"I guess we all saw different stuff. All our pasts were pretty bad. I mean, we're demigods, and the seven of the prophecy, they're gonna be bad aren't they?"

"Okay, that's okay, I just need to-" I trailed off, and started muttering and going through how I'd help each of my friends.

"Hang on, how would you know their backstories?" Jason questioned.

"Remember, I read the books," I said with a wink, then stood up and went first to my brother.

"Well, here goes nothing," I said, and sat down in front of him, and took his hands in mine.