Chapter 8

I stepped inside. My school halls. They were empty. I wondered if I should be in school right now if I was at home. Well, no one was here, and I guess this was school.

Suddenly we heard a scream, and I bolted down the corridor towards the sound. I entered a classroom. It was completely full. Everybody was here, just in class. Right.

I recognised everybody there, because I realised with a shock, this was supposed to be my class. Everyone was staring at the screaming boy as the teacher tried to speak to him. However, they all turned their heads towards me as I burst through the door. Crap. They recognised me.

I rushed over towards the boy. When I saw his face, I felt like collapsing. It was my cousin. His name was Jacob. He was a little over a month older than me, and was a really close friend. He lived with my half-brother Sam, who was his legal guardian. Sam was four years my senior, and his mom was my dad's late wife. She died giving birth to him, but how I wished she hadn't. Then maybe she would have been my mom instead of that monster I had.

My thoughts quickly readjusted themselves back to Jacob. Phobos or Deimos had attacked him. I made a silent promise to myself to make them pay for doing that to my cousin, and my best friend. I ran over to him, and he saw me and smiled.

"You were dead!" He said to me, confused and bewildered. It was strange to see him like this, so- helpless. I noticed with relief and gratitude that he wasn't as delirious as the girl from the infirmary, and he could understand me.

"It's okay," I reassured him. "It wasn't real. Everyone's okay."

"Right. Right, yeah."

"What got you believing that?"

"I saw some kid climb in through the window, and no one else noticed him. I saw in his eyes that you and Brianna and Sam were all dead. It was strange. And then - I don't know, I felt like I blacked out."

"You were delirious. Do you know where the boy went?"

"Jumped back out the window again."

"Okay. Thank you. I gotta go now, are you sure you're gonna be okay? Sam or Brianna can look after you."

"Yeah, I'm fine, honestly."

"Good." Then I turned and ran back out of the classroom to get the others. I led them back inside, and over to the large window. Leo climbed onto the ledge, and hopped out. Jason followed, and soon all my friends had climbed out the window, the way Phobos had. Nico just shadow-travelled. All the students in my class had their jaws practically on the floor.

"Sorry Miss Sanders!" I called, and climbed out of the window myself, shutting it behind me.