Chapter 4

Chiron was teaching archery when I finally found him.

"Emily! Is everything alright?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt a class, but I need a quest."

"What? Emily you've just got here."

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing. I need a quest. As quickly as possible."

"And why is that?"

"Clarisse brought a girl into the infirmary, who'd gone completely nuts. She reckons it's Phobos and Deimos, attacking campers. The girl was trying to leave camp, saying her family was in danger. She was out of her mind - a danger to herself. She'd get herself killed."

"I can send more experienced campers on this quest. You haven't had a single minute of training!"

"Fine. I'll train for today, then go tomorrow."

"There will be no sort of quest tomorrow," Chiron insisted. "You will tell me everything about this tomorrow, and then we will discuss from there. But for now, go and train."

"But will you let me go?"

"I never said that. But train hard. Learn well. Get as much practise as possible. You'll need it."

"So that means you are letting me go?" I ventured with a small smile. Chiron didn't answer, and I let my smile break into a large grin. "I'll go and start my training."

That evening, after a long day of persistent training, I was in the Poseidon cabin with Percy, telling him everything about the scene in the infirmary, and the quest.

"You're going on a quest? Already? What?"

"Well, Chiron didn't say yes, but he didn't say no either. I don't know, but hopefully I'm going. I know more about this than you think."

"Can you tell me about how this thing works, please? Because I for one, am confused. How do you know all about us? How are you here? And how are you my sister?"

"Okay, so in my world, there's this popular book series, about you and everyone else. You're the main character, so it's crazy that I'm related to you and that I'm even talking to you now because, well, you don't exist! But you do! But this whole world doesn't exist and everything's fictional, but it's not, and I'm so confused."

"So we aren't real in your world?"

"Nope. Fictional characters in a book series."

"A book? The only thing I could think of that may have brought about a book was an interview I gave to a scribe."

"Rick Riordan?" I asked with a grin.

"Yeah," he frowned.

"He's the author. It's so weird - they're published in our world, and super popular and everything. There's a massive fan base for it."

"That's insane. So they know about demigods?"

"Well, yeah, but they think it's a made up story."

"Right."

When we had finally got too tired and stopped discussing it, we lay down to sleep and my eyelids closed the moment I touched the pillow. It had been a long, confusing, eventful day.