Chapter 12

Blackjack carried Percy, Annabeth and me on his back, whilst Porkpie carried Piper, Jason, and Leo, and Frank, Hazel and Nico rode on Guido. Those poor pegasi had their work cut out for them when they agreed to take us to the temple.

I fiddled with the ring on my finger. My weapon. I tapped it, and the ring transformed into a bow, with a quiver stocked full with arrows on my back. Woah.

Annabeth smirked. "Forgot to tell you it could do that, too, if you tap the rim. You any good with a bow and arrow?"

"I think so. Hopefully."

"Alright then," she laughed.

Blackjack swooped downwards suddenly, and Annabeth had just enough time to throw her arms around Percy to stop herself falling off Blackjack. I wasn't so lucky. I slid straight off Blackjack's back, and began to plummet. All the air flew out of my lungs in a scream as the ground grew rapidly closer. I saw Jason coming towards me fast, but not as fast as I was falling. My feet reached the ground at the same time Jason did. I tried to land in the least painful way possible, but my ankle made a sickening crunch as I landed on it.

My whole left leg seared in fiery pain. My leg was bent the wrong way, inwards towards my knee, and my ankle was pointing the complete other direction. I couldn't bear to look at it. There wasn't much blood, or maybe there was tons. I couldn't tell, as I felt so dizzy I could barely sit upright.

How could we have been that high? How could my fall had been that bad? I heard rushing around me as the others landed. I heard Jason scolding himself for acting too late, I heard Annabeth scolding herself for only thinking about herself and not holding onto me, and I wanted to reassure them that it wasn't their fault, but I couldn't, because my vision was darkening and I remembered feeling so angry for always seeming to be the damsel in distress, always having the others take care of me when I was supposed to be leading the quest, when my brain shut off and I slumped against the cold pavement.