Chapter four: The Switch

Nyra's POV:

I put the car in park, gripping the steering wheel until my knuckles were white. How could she let that... That... Monster... Stay with her?! Placing a, fake, cheery smile on my face, I turned to face a bored looking Leon who sat in the back seat.

"Why didn't Alyx pick me up?" Leon looked over at me with a hurt expression playing across his peachy face.

Leon was the cutest seven year old I had ever seen in my life; taking after his sister with the jet black hair and green eyes. They were identical twins; age and gender was the only thing that separated them from being identical twins. The bond between the two siblings was unbreakable; despite the age difference, Alyx and Leon were extremely close.

"Sweetie, your sister has a... Friend... Over," I managed not to growl the lie out as I climbed out of the car.

"Oh, new people!" Leon laughed, climbing out of my car and dashing inside.

Shit! That thing could snap and kill them both! I slammed my car door shut, quickly rushing towards the door and swinging it open. My heart stopped as my brain registered what my eyes were seeing; Alyx and Jeff were sitting on the same couch, next to each other. They had a blue blanket over them, seeming to share it; their shoulders were brushing against each other as they watched the television. I watched with narrowed eyes as Jeff shifted his gaze over to a startled Leon.

"Hey there, kiddo," Alyx said weakly, her voice holding exhaustion, "How was the sleepover?"

"It was fun, we stayed up really late," Leon didn't take his green gaze off of Jeff, "Who are you?"

I walked over and sat on the opposite couch, putting Leon on my lap. How can she bare to sit next to him...? I snapped a glare at him as he smirked at me.

"That's... Jeffery..." I pointed to Jeff, rubbing the little boy's back, "He's going to be staying with you guys for a couple of days..."

"You can call me Jeff," The psychopath held out a hand towards Leon, "Who might you be?"

"I'm Leon," The little boy shook Jeff's hand, to my dismay, "What's wrong with your face...?"

"I had an accident when I was your age," Jeff replied, leaning back into the soft couch, "I played with a knife."

I could only glare at Jeff coldly, as Leon kept asking questions about his appearance. Alyx stayed quiet the entire time, taking slight interest in the conversation that her brother had sparked up with Jeff. It still bothered me to see how physically close the two were, I mean, did she not care who he was? Was she too tired to care? Or did his very existence just shock her into trying to act casual? I felt the questions circle my brain, until another one popped up; an important question. How did they even exist? Weren't they meant to be for entertainment only? I didn't know. It killed me not to know.

"Right, Nyra?" I blinked, coming back to reality and looking back at Alyx.

"What? Sorry, I wasn't... Listening..." I admitted slowly, scratching the back of my neck.

"Leon wants to know if you're watching the television," She replied tiredly.

"Nope, television is all yours," I grabbed the control from the armrest and handed it to the excited little boy.

"You'll love SpongeBob, Jeff," Leon giggled like any other seven year old would, "It's my favorite cartoon."

I mentally winced as Leon climbed off my lap and crawled over to Jeff, practically leaning on the mass murderer. How can they even exist...? I couldn't rid of that question that kept floating around in my brain. I watched from the corner of my eye as Jeff shifted uncomfortably; Leon was slowly falling asleep on his other shoulder.