9. Greyhounds

"Hey, Rey," Leo called. "I bring food."

Reyna looked up from her pile of paperwork and blinked. Letters were still swimming in her vision. "Huh? Oh, just..." she blinked again. "Thanks."

Leo set down the grocery bag of food. "Whatcha doing?" he asked.

"Paperwork," Reyna groaned. "Octavian's made it his new goal to make up as many issues as possible so my life is more miserable."

"Hey, at least you have me," Leo said. "Who else would bring you food?"

"Depends, what food did you bring?"

Leo reached into the bag and started pulling items out, naming them as he removed them. "We have... 4 bags of M&M's, 4 Snickers, a 6-pack of Coke, some cookies, 5 bags of Starburst Jellybeans, and a bag of Hershey Kisses."

Reyna's face brightened. "So you brought me candy?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

Reyna launched herself from her chair and flung her arms around Leo, planting a kiss on his cheek. "At least I have you."

Leo smirked. "They say the way to a man's heart is food. Apparently the way to your heart is artificially flavored, sugar filled, sweets."

Reyna considered his reasoning. "Pretty much. Now pass me some M&M's I'm starving."

It took Reyna 5 minutes to eat all of the candy and drink 5 Cokes. Leo only got to drink one pop.

"Gods, that was delicious," Reyna said, stifling a burp. Leo wondered how Reyna could eat that much candy and still be stick thin.

"Let's do something," Leo said.

"Do what?"

Leo sat in silence as he thought. "Let's go see Harry Potter."

"You've seen Harry Potter."

"Then let's see Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief, or maybe the Sea of Monsters."

"What?"

"Nothing," Leo said. "Just something to catch your attention."

"I know, let's watch Twilight," Reyna suggested.

Leo's nose caught on fire. "No. Nope. No, nope, no no no no, won't see it, nope."

"Leo, please don't burn down my house, I was kidding."

Leo nodded solemnly and sat on the floor by Reyna's feet. Argum and Argentum lay down next to him. He pulled a screwdriver out of his belt and tapped Argentum's nose.

"Leo, greyhounds are sensitive, don't tease him."

"Two things. One, your dogs didn't grow up on a track like most greyhounds so they haven't exactly been underfed and beaten, and two, these dogs are capable of ripping my hands off, I'm not teasing them."

He moved the screwdriver around Argentum's head and laughed when the dog bit the screwdriver in half. "I told you."

"Okay, how do you know so much about greyhounds?"

"One of my foster families had four greyhounds. They all had scars and I guess it made me ask a lot of questions that didn't have pretty answers. Did you know they hit them with cattle prods sometimes? And they also throw food into the cages and let the dogs fight each other for it."

"Gods, that's awful."

"One of the dogs, Harlow, used to lay on the ground whimpering while the others ate because he was the weaker dog. He got over it just before I left though and learned how to play with toys."

"Leo, please stop telling me about greyhounds, my dogs don't like it."

As if on cue Argum growled.

"Mars Almighty he only does that when Octavian or Jason are here, let's hope it's the latter," Reyna mumbled.

Leo jumped up and opened the door. "Jason!"

"Hey, Leo. Where's Rey- OH MY GODS!" Jason yelped. Argentum and Argum had jumped up and ran to him, Argentum sniffing his leg and Argum nipping at his hands.

"Jason, glad to see you still dislike my dogs."

"These things are killing machines!" Jason argued, his voice higher that usual. He seemed like he was trying not to run out of the room screaming for Thalia. "I thought maybe they'd be asleep or maybe they locked themselves in the bathroom."

"They're quite lovable, really," Leo pointed out, scratching both dogs behind their metal ears with the remains of his screwdriver. "I could tell you a lot about greyhounds-"

"No more sad greyhound stories Leo, please," Reyna said. "Why are you here Jason?"

"Oh, um, Octavian wanted to see if you were done with your paperwork."

Reyna frowned and mumbled some choice words about Octavian before picking up most of the papers on her desk and handing them to Jason. "Tell him not to bug me again or my digs will find him in his sleep," Reyna warned.

"You know I can't say that to him, but I will leave you two to whatever you were doing..." he trailed off, one hand resting on the door.

"We weren't doing anything," Reyna said. She pushed Jason out the door. "Have fun with Octavian!" she called to Jason.

"I will!" he called back.

Argum barked as the door shut. "Reyna, your dogs are true greyhounds, they're loud and needy."

"Thank you Leo, I'm sure my dogs will appreciate that lovely compliment."

Leo kissed Argum's head. "I am sorry if I offended you dog."

"Leo, really. His name is Argum. And stop kissing them, you'll ruin their coats."

"Would you rather I kissed you, then?"

"Leo, that's seriously cheesy and I may just fall for it."

Leo smiled and kissed Reyna's cheek again. "I'm going to go built a bunch of dog toys and collars so I have an excuse to watch your dogs, see ya tomorrow."

"I'm going to be busy tomorrow," Reyna warned.

"And I'll watch the dogs," Leo said as he threw his screwdriver across the room and left.

"I will never understand him," Reyna muttered to herself as she watched him run off to wherever he kept his way back to Camp Half Blood.

A/N: