Chapter 2

I looked at her and saw a small smile. I could see painful memories coming back, Katniss' pin, her face, the way she'd talk to me as if she thought I was stupid. I fell onto my knees and cried. Cried for hours on end. Though every time I looked up I could see and hear Madge;

"Gale, it's ok. This isn't your fault. Come on, it's okay."

I knew she was right, eventually when reality came back to me; I got up from the hay bale where Madge must have put me. I saw her look at me.

"Madge, who knows you're here. I mean, with me. It must be early morning now."

"Don't worry, my step parents of District 10, know I'm here with you. I told them, they said I can stay here for a bit." Madge tells me while perching on the edge of the hay bale.

I pick her up and pull her into my arms. We say nothing but silence can say just as much as words.

"You know, you'd like it here. I mean, no noise. Sweet people and just a fun District. I thank everyone who helped the Capitols reign die. It means a lot that I can just go out the door without being scared a bomb or something is going to drop on my head." Madge says, but the bombs bring memories back. Memories I'd rather forget, I shiver.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that." Madge looks down at her toes.

"It's fine, really. So what's been happening in District 10 then?" I ask.

"Not a lot really, but Peacekeepers are leaving a few at a time. No need for them now as the Capitol isn't as harsh as it use to be. Oh yeah, and I've got amazing news."

I stare at her; I want to know this news.

"I got a phone call for President Paylor; she wanted me to tell you, you are no longer a Peacekeeper. Are you ready for the good news? Well, you should be sent back to District 2 but she said you could stay here. That is, if you want to?"

I am overjoyed. No more Peacekeeping, no more hiding but best of all I was with Madge. I jump up, spin Madge round and kiss her like never before.

(VOTE)