Chapter 49

I leaned against the door, my ear pressed against the hard wood of it listening for movement of any kind. I couldn't hear them talking anymore, instead the other side of the door was filled with silence. Every once in a while, a soft snore would pass through the silence.

I pressed my hand against the door forcefully and slowly turned the handle. I pushed the door open and quietly stepped through the frame, my shoes secured in my hand. I tip toed passed the passed out men. Beer bottles littered the table and sofa in front of them where they crashed. I reached the front door and quietly opened it, stepping across the threshold quickly. I put my shoes on and began quickly walking away.

My mind was racing at how unlikely that whole situation was. I should never have been able to escape from them, but I heard how much they were drinking the previous night. Bottle after bottle, can after can, was popped open and consumed. Their words became less and less coherent as the morning sun rose. Just as the sun broke the horizon, their incoherent words became a wave of silence.

I don't even know where I was heading right now. I needed to find somewhere to go, some place to find refuge and get a hold of Harry. I can't imagine how he's feeling right now, he must have stayed awake all night worrying about me and sending out a search party. That's exactly what I would have done if I were him.

I've been outside for a while, I was so cold. It's near the end of December, and the frost in the air pained my skin. I must have been walking on foot for an hour or two before I found a little hotel. It was the first place I've seen since I left the place Niall took me. I walked up to the door and opened it.

I could hear the radio humming through the silent hotel.

"If anyone sees the kingdom's queen, please send word to your local guards," the voice on the radio said. I walked up to the counter and rested my hand on the counter. The woman behind it looked up and almost choked on the grapes she was munching on. She instantly stood up, curtseying.

"Call my husband," I said softly. "Please."

"Y-yes, y-your h-highness," she stuttered, her fingers reaching for the telephone. She grabbed a piece of paper and dialed the number. "H-hello, I'd like to say I have Queen Emerald at my hotel on the outer edge of Simbly," she said softly. She hummed into the phone a few times before she hung up.

"They're calling your husband now," she said softly. "Let's get you into a room and get you more clothes."

She put a "we'll be back" sign on the counter before walking over to me and ushering me to a room. She guided me to a bed where I sat down as she grabbed blankets and began throwing them around me. She picked up the room's telephone.

"I need a pot of raspberry tea in room 34. Be quick with it, Holly," she said, putting the phone back on the receiver. She walked over to me. "The babe? Is it okay?"

"Still moving around," I nodded, my hand cradling the bottom of my stomach.

"Good, good," she said. "I expect King Harry should be here within an hour or so. He's been looking for you most of the night."

"Okay," I nodded, looking down. She gently patted my shoulder before turning to the fireplace and starting up a fire.

"We don't want you or the babe getting sick, so we'll be getting you warm," the woman said as a knock sounded. "Come on in then, Holly. I said quickly!"

The door opened, and a young girl walked in with a cart and a kettle of tea with cups. She looked at me, her brown eyes widening before she lowered herself into a curtsy.

"Your Highness," she said softly.

"Thank you, Holly," I smiled at her. She poured me a cup of tea, handing it to me. I cradled the warm cup in my hand and sipped the sweet liquid.