Chapter 7

I stood in front of a large mirror looking at myself as Trish and her daughters talked about the gown I would be wearing for my coronation. I moved my shoulders slightly allowing my back to crack. I felt a surge of self-consciousness course through my veins. I knew my becoming queen was inevitable, but for some reason I couldn't picture myself as a leader. I was a farmer's daughter. That's all I felt I would ever be sometimes.

       "Something wrong Emerald?" Trish asked, a smile on her face.

       "It's nothing," I shook my head, waving her off. "I'm thinking crazy thoughts is all."

       "Care to share?" she asked sitting down on the footstool in front of the chair I stood on. I sat down and let out a heavy sigh. "That bad?"

       "I'm doubting myself," I said holding my hands against my chest. "I feel like I'm not cut out to be queen. I'm nervous is mostly what's going through my mind."

       "In twelve days you will go up there, and prove to your country that you will be the best goddamn queen they've ever seen. Ula loves you, Emerald," she smiled cupping my cheek. "Your whole country adores you and King Harry. You already have their hearts, and most importantly the King's heart. He believes in you."

       I glanced up at her, tears brimming the edge of my eyes. I sniffled, and let out a nervous laugh. She stood up, and walked over to the dress her and her daughters have been working on for the past several days. They've made quite a few mock gowns as they practiced on how to make the perfect one.

       Coronation gowns, as told to me by Anne, have always been traditional. The bulky gowns that people pictured when they think of royalty. This one was no different. The dark reds and golds of the gown worked as one created a dress fit for a queen. Trish motioned for me to stand up in front of the mirror. I did as I was told. She held the heavy gown in front of me.

       "This dress isn't just a dress, it's going to be the reminder of how much our country will change that day. You and your husband will be remembered," she smiled. "You will be great."

       I stepped away from her feeling the charge of emotions. One of her daughters took the dress from Trish's hands, and Trish came to me. She drew me into a hug letting me cry it out. I don't know why I felt so nervous, this was something I knew I was ready for. I knew it was coming the moment I said yes to Harry's proposal. I think the responsibilities were suddenly settling on my shoulders, and I was going to be learning how to be a queen and a wife simultaneously.

       "Emerald, you need to calm down," Trish said, her hand running over my back. "You don't want to drive yourself into a panic attack. Slow down and breathe. There we go," she said calmly. "I know you're scared, but this is a piece of cake compared to being a mother."

       "Hey!" her daughters all said.

       "This is so much easier, Emerald," Trish continued, ignoring her daughters. "Your role is to help your husband run the country. Children will no doubt come later, but for now you are in charge of your home. That's your job. You think you can handle a country?"

       "I don't know," I sniffled. "I don't know if I'm prepared enough."

       "You are ready," Trish grinned. "You're so ready, and if you're not, you will be within time. Do you think Harry was ready when he became king? No. He's still figuring it out, and he's been king for half a year already," she smiled. "He got into the groove of things, and he'll help you along."

       I nodded looking at the floor.

       "You want to go back to your room?" she asked.