Chapter 48

Declan sat in the office, his hands shackled to the table the guard told him nothing just marched him into the small office. His wrist already raw from the handcuffs, his body ached he'd been attacked in the yard, the self appointed body guard nowhere to be found.

They got him as he stepped on the grass, a few guys causing a distraction while the others beat him, he was bruised all over his chest and back, his face had been bloodied.

"Your attorney's here" a guard poked his head in and announced, "just getting cleared, he will be in any minute"

"Ok" Declan answered, he knew a hearing was coming up and he was hopeful, he didn't think he could last six more months, he knew damn well he wouldn't last the six years left in his sentence.

The door opened again and his attorney stepped in mumbling something under his breath, shaking his head he closed the door.

"How are you kid?" He asked as he opened his briefcase, as soon as he laid on eyes on Declan he knew the answer, "Ouch! Did you go to the infirmary?"

"I'm fine" He had refused medical attention and wouldn't roll on who had done it to him, "what are the odds of me getting out of here?" He ran his free hand over his head, he would never get used to the crew cut.

"Excellent" he sat down smiling ear to ear, "you've got friends in high places kid" he slid a document over to him, "read it"

He quickly scanned it, "Wait a second" he looked up from the document, "how?"

The attorney laughed, "I don't have a clue, it arrived at my office yesterday and I just had it verified with the judge"

"This is insane, when?" Declan asked.

The guard returned keys in hand, "Looks like you've been praying to the right people" he muttered as he took the handcuffs off Declan, "Burgess, you aren't like the people here, you're a good kid who made a horrible choice. Don't make another one, I don't want to see your scrawny ass back here"

Declan smiled, "Trust me, you won't" he rubbed his wrists, "Can we go?"

"Yea, let's go"

"Can you step out of the vehicle" she asked her, "what are you doing here?"

Katrina slowly opened the door, "I'm going to get my id from my purse, I work here" she told the officer, "I came in early to get some work done before the children arrive"

The officer took the ID and went back to the patrol car, Katrina leaned against her car her thoughts drifting to Tanner the fight they had this morning was ugly she needed to put distance between them.

"Alright Ms.Cameron, you're good" the officer returned the ID to her, "have a good day"

"You too, Officer" she gathered her things from the trunk and went inside.

"You probably should drink that instead of staring at it" Adam told Kim her hands gripping the mug, "he isn't up yet?" He kissed her cheek.

"Huh?"Kim asked, she had been unable to sleep Anthony's words still ringing in her ears.

"I said you should probably drink that" he pulled a chair alongside her, "C'mon, it's okay" he brushed her cheek with the back of his hand, "he still sleeping?"

She nodded getting up from the table and pouring the coffee down the sink, "He's not going to school today Adam" she didn't think she could send him back to that woman, "why would she tell him?"

Adam leaned against the counter, "I don't know"

Harper came in from the living room, "Daddy, I want cookie!" She smiled, knowing Adam would give her one.