Chapter 54

"Baby?" Harper pointed to Kim's stomach as they waited in the lobby, "twos of them?" she held up a finger on each hand.

"Yes, baby two" Kim said as she ran her hand over the ever growing bump, she was six months pregnant and felt like she was as big as a house. She checked her phone again, still nothing from Adam. Her appointment was in fifteen minutes and she was hoping he would make it, she dreaded having to bring Harper in the exam room by herself it was almost impossible for her to carry Harper and the little girl was a handful on her best day.

Finally the door swung open, Adam rushing in "Hey Darlin', I'm sorry I'm late" he hoped she wouldn't notice the swelling near his eye having gone to fisticuffs with a suspect, "Where's daddy's favorite girl?"

"Right here silly!" Harper laughed when Adam picked her up.

"What happened to your eye?" Kim asked him.

"Ah, it's nothing" Adam told her breathing a sigh of relief when they were called back.

"Alright, let's take a look at these two" the doctor said as he started the ultrasound, no longer leaving it to the technician he wanted to keep a close eye on the two little ones. The sharing of the placenta could lead to complications and he was hoping it wouldn't be the case for the Ruzek twins.

Kim found these appointments to be stressful, she still couldn't kick the uneasy feeling she had, Adam telling her she was being silly. That it was fine, the only surprise was the fact they would be getting 'two for the price of one' as Adam had so eloquently put it. Once he got over that shock that is, it took a few weeks but he warmed up to the idea and was thrilled at the thought of having twins.

Adam sat with Harper in his lap and Kim's hand entwined with his, "you're going to get to see your baby brothers or sisters" he told her, the doctor confident these babies would be identical.

"They coming out?" Harper asked, her language had seemingly developed overnight and she now talked non-stop.

"Not yet, but they'll be on the tv" the doctor told her.

He quietly worked as the images filled the screen, it was what first tipped Adam off to something not being quite right, but he kept it to himself not wanting to scare Kim.

He kept checking the measurements of both babies, and alternating between the iPad and the ultrasound monitor, he quickly turned the lights on, "Excuse me for just a mintue" he left the room without another word, the image of their babies frozen on the screen.

"Do you think something is wrong with the babies, Adam?" Kim asked.

"I don't know, try not to worry" Adam told her, trying to calm his own fears.

The door opened, the doctor returning with an older doctor who both Adam and Kim recognized as the senior doctor in the practice and a nurse.

The nurse kneeled in front of Harper, "Hey sweetie, why don't you come with me for a minute let mommy and daddy talk with the doctors, okay?"
She asked softly, trying to keep from scaring both Harper and her parents.

Harper looked back at Kim, "Go on, it's okay" though she was certain it wasn't, not even close to being okay. Instinctively she reached out for Adam's hand, Harper already having followed the nurse out of the room.

"Doc, what's going on?" Adam asked as he stood beside Kim.

The older doctor spoke "Hi, I'm Dr.Weatherspoon, It seems we have found something that is worrisome" he had only seen a few cases with this condition in all his years, "I would like to perform another ultrasound, is that okay?"