Chapter 45

She couldn't take her eyes off Anthony, she watched as he worked alongside her assistant it was going to take her some time to get used to being around him. It made her heart ache for Wendy that she never got to meet her son, she had her faults but she loved that little boy from the minute she found out she was pregnant.

Katrina was never Adam's biggest fan, but she knew that there was two sides to the story and that it wasn't all Adam's fault especially when Wendy started seeing Kevin again, it was the straw that broke their relationship. She refused to help Wendy cover her tracks and wanted no part in it regardless of wether or not Adam had also stepped outside of their marriage.

The bell signaling lunch brought her from her thoughts, "Let's go children, gather your lunch boxes and line up just like we practiced" she ushered them in a line assigning her assistant to be the 'caboose' while she stood at the front, Anthony her line leader.

Adam smiled at Kim who blew her nose for the third time since they arrived at the diner, Adam had taken an early lunch, "Are you laughing at me?" Kim asked him.

"No" he laughed, "I would never, I just find you adorable" he winked, hoping she had forgotten all about Katrina Cameron he had successfully dodged the question on the ride home and he knew he wouldn't be so lucky if she asked again.

"You are laughing at me, but it's okay" she told him, "I'm being silly, I'm sure Anthony is having a great time at school, I just didn't think he'd be all 'bye mommy' he barely looked at me, he doesn't need me anymore"

Adam felt bad, "Oh, don't say that. Of course he still needs you, he'll always need you" he grabbed her hand, "just like Harper will too"

"What about you? Will you always need me?"

"Of course, I don't think Amy wants to start doing my laundry or cooking for me again" he laughed dodging the napkin she threw at him, "Darlin', I will always need you, you're my heart" he winked.

Kim waited long enough it was obvious he wasn't going to bring it up on his own, "How do you know Anthony's teacher?"

He groaned, "Ugh, I was hoping you forgot" he pushed his plate aside, "She was Wendy's best friend, they had been since they were kids" he told her, "She was living in Denver, when Wendy was killed"

"Really?"

"She's a good person Kim, I'm sure she's a great teacher" Adam hoped she wouldn't want Anthony moved from her class, "Anthony will like her"

She suddenly felt all the insecurities she felt when Anthony was a baby, "It's just a little strange, he'll be okay with her though right?"

"Yea, it won't be a problem" he told her, his phone vibrating, "duty calls" he pulled her up from the booth, "I will see you later" he kissed her.

"I love you Adam" she said as he left the diner.

Annie had just put Drew down for a nap when Kim arrived, "I need you to talk me off the ledge, Annie. I'm freaking out" Kim said as she sat on the couch.

"What is it? Has my brother done something stupid?" She cleaned up Drew's toys, he had just started crawling and was in to everything.

Kim shook her head, "No, he hasn't. We dropped Anthony off at school today"

"That's right, I'm sorry I forgot all about it" she interrupted her.

"It's fine, Anthony did great, I just don't know if I like his teacher or not"

"What happened?" Annie asked perplexed, she wasn't sure how Kim could dislike her on the first day, "Anthony is a great kid, I'm sure his teacher will love him"