Chapter 22

"Shit!" She muttered as she read the results again, this was the last thing she needed. She took the stick and hid it in the medicine cabinet, she wasn't quite ready to deal with this.

She knew who she needed to talk to, she checked the time and hoped she'd be home and available to meet her. She hadn't spoken to Adam in two months, but Kim had reached out to her and for now that was enough. She got to see the kids every so often and she talked on the phone with Kim weekly.

Anthony and Adam sat on the floor building with Legos Anthony's newest obsession, though Kim found more on the floor than she ever found being used to actually build.

"Darlin', your phone is ringing" Adam said as he handed it to her, Annie's name on the screen not going unnoticed. He refused to change his stance on the situation no matter what it cost him, including his sister and father. He hadn't spoken to either one in two months.

Kim took it "Hey, what's up?" she asked Annie, "sure can you give me forty five minutes?"

Adam watched the exchange from the corner of his eye, he knew their plans for the evening had just been changed, he waited until she hung up "what's going on? Are you going out?" He questioned her.

She stood up, "something is going on with your sister, she needs to talk. I'm meeting her at Molly's" she started to leave the room "is that a problem?"

"No, you know it isn't" he told her, he wouldn't admit it but he was hoping Derek had finally showed his true colors and their relationship had hit the skids.

"Tell mommy bye" Adam told the kids, Harper had found her way into his lap her chubby little hand waving, Anthony running to her and giving her a hug.

"I love you Mommy" he smiled, "the mostest"

Kim smiled, "I love you too baby, and you sweet girl" she bent down and kissed Harper's head her brown hair finally starting to grow, "and you too" she told Adam, "I shouldn't be long" she kissed his cheek.

"Just be careful, okay?" He smiled, "I love you"

Kim found Annie huddled in a corner, she looked white as a sheet. "Are you okay?" She asked her sister in law taking the seat opposite her, "has Derek done something?"

The question annoyed her, "No, which I'm sure will disappoint my brother" she replied, "okay, maybe that wasn't fair" she told Kim when she saw the look on her face.

"Your brother doesn't want you hurt, you're a lot like him. Wether you'll admit it or not, your dad too. You Ruzeks are exactly the same, but I love you all anyway" she ordered a drink, "now tell me what has you freaked out"

She twirled the bracelet around her wrist, "I'm pregnant" she blurted out, "I've taken a home test and those are never wrong right?"

Kim was still in shock, it took a minute before she could string words together "um, well sometimes they tell say you aren't pregnant when you are, but never do they tell you you're pregnant when you aren't"

"Just great"

"What are you going to do? Have you told Derek yet?" The questions in rapid fire, "your dad, does he know? Oh my god Adam is going to flip out"

Annie grabbed Kim's arm "can you shut up please?"

"I'm sorry, I'm just floored" Kim told her, "are you okay with this?"

Annie folded her hands, "I don't know. I mean I love kids, but other peoples kids. I don't know if I can be someone's mother, look at my own mother" she told her "I haven't even graduated college yet, Derek has but he is still trying to get a decent job" the room was back to spinning again, "not to mention what my dad is going to do when he finds out"

"Hey calm down" Kim noticed Annie's face start to become flushed, "I wasn't prepared when I became a mother either, and I didn't have the luxury of nine months to prepare, I had just a few hours notice" her mind drifting back to the night of the accident "but when you hold that sweet baby in your arms, you'll love it more than anything"

"What if Derek doesn't want a kid?" Annie asked.

"What if he does?" countered Kim, "you won't know until you tell him, he may surprise you"

Annie smiled, "he really is a good man Kim, he loves me and treats me a lot like the way Adam treats you. I wish Adam could see that side of Derek, that he would give him a chance"

Kim felt horrible "I know sweetie, believe me I've tried talking to Adam about it, but he refuses to budge" she patted her hand, "maybe this baby will help"

They talked over dinner, Annie feeling a little bit better by the end of the meal, "I really appreciate you coming out tonight. I know it was last minute, but it helped. I do have one favor to ask" she said.

"Anything" Kim told her.

"Please don't tell Adam yet" she was hopeful Kim would oblige.

She hated keeping things from him, "alright, but he's going to find out soon enough"

"I know I just need some time"

They hugged and both retreated to their cars.

She put the car in drive and pulled out into traffic, as she waited at the red light she glanced at her cellphone, the car behind her honking as the light turned to green.

She glanced in the rear view mirror, "relax, I'm going" she said as she pulled into the intersection.

She was oblivious to the pick up truck that had ran the light t-boning the passenger side of her car. Sending it spiraling into the telephone pole opposite the 21st District.

Trudy Platt was cursing her luck, she hated having to fill in at night. The sound of the impact could be heard inside the 21st, she glanced at Sean Roman who had been pulling OT "what the hell was that?" She asked as she came out from behind the desk and charged outside Roman on her heels.

Sean raced to the car, he immediately recognized the driver.

"Call an ambo" he yelled out as he reached for a pulse, he found one although it was weak "and call Adam, now!"

"Adam? Adam Ruzek?" She asked bewildered.

"Yes, it's bad"

Trudy got closer to the vehicle, her knees buckling when her eyes landed on the unconscious driver.

--------AUTHORS NOTE-------

One week of school in the books, I have a great class of super little kids. I'm pretty stoked it's gonna be a good year!

Thanks for hanging with my as I get back into the whole work routine, I promise I won't leave you hanging to long on who was in the accident. I also altered it a little bit with 'Derek' having graduated, it works better that way.

Look for something this weekend!

And if you didn't know this already, I fucking love Patrick John Flueger, he's awesome! He is truly a good man, and I am so thankful that he took me up on my offer.

As always, thanks for reading!

-Kristi