Chapter 56

Adam sat at his desk, it had been two weeks since they lost their son. The doctors deeming the surviving baby's odds as very good, just coming short of declaring him out of the woods.

He was staring into space when Jay approached him, "Adam, it's late. Go home" he said softly, "we got the paper work covered"

Adam nodded, "thanks Jay" he grabbed his coat and left.

They still hadn't told Anthony or Harper, Kim didn't want to discuss it at all,it worried Adam he was afraid she was in a denial of some sort. Always referring to the 'babies' and not the 'baby'.

Unable to take the crib apart on his own he had sent Annie over to do it along with removing some of the clothes, but Kim wouldn't allow any of it to be removed. He gave up, he didn't want to stress her out anymore than she already was.

The house was quiet when he got home, "Kids asleep?" He asked her, she seemed to be watching an infomercial, his question going unanswered. "Darlin', you hear me?"

Her head turned in his direction, "Huh?"

"The kids, are they in bed?"

"Oh, yea. Both in bed" she went back to staring at the television.

"Let's go to bed" he told her, "it's late"

"Yea, okay" she got up and followed him.

Stopping in the hallway, tears springing to her eyes, "Adam, my water just broke" she said through tears, it was supposed to be a happy occasion but she was heartbroken. She was supposed to be giving birth to two boys, but instead she was giving birth to one living boy and one who had died in what was supposed to be the safety of her womb.

"Are you sure?" Adam asked, his heart in his throat.

"Yes" she nodded.

"I will text Annie" he sent the text.

"I gotta go" Annie told Derek, "It's so damn bittersweet" she said as she got dressed, "we should be happy, but I feel this overwhelming sadness" she was trying so hard not to cry.

"Babe, I'm so sorry" he hugged her, "please give them my love and call once he's born" he kissed her cheek, "I got Drew under control"

Kim wanted to slow it down, she didn't want the baby to arrive. She knew once her living son was born they would deliver her son who had died. At least now she felt connected to him, it was as if he was alive but in a few hours that would no longer be the case.

She would have to say goodbye to the little boy she never got to meet, never would she hear his cries, or see his little chest rise and fall with each breath. Her heart ached, she feared for the surviving twin, what it would be like for him knowing he had an identical twin who died. She wondered if he would miss him, that he would know something was wrong, if he would hate her for not keeping his brother alive. The last thing she wanted to do was look her older children in the eye and tell them that their baby brother died before he was born, she doubted they would understand it.

Adam grabbed her hand, he had been quiet since they arrived at the hospital, she worried if he harbored any resentment towards her for not keeping both their babies safe.

"I can't do this Adam, I can't" she cried, "I need both our boys"

Adam nodded, "I know baby, it's hard but our sweet boy is coming"

"We should be having two, Adam, I wanted them both"

"I did too, and we do have two." He said softly, "he's our son too, we love him and we won't ever forget him. I promise you"