Chapter 9

Kara dialed the number again, disappointed when it went straight to voicemail "Sean, you need to call me, I'm worried. Everyone's worried, I love you" she ended the call and tossed the cellphone on the sofa.

Sean heard her footsteps, and knew he wasn't going to be able to avoid her any longer, "hey mom" he said softly "dad send you my way?"

She sat beside him on the dock and let her feet dangle over the ocean, "Baby, you need to forgive yourself, I don't know why you blame yourself but you need to stop" she told him unsure of what brought this on after all these years, it seemed he had put it behind him "what brought it back to the surface Sean?"

He leaned against the post, "we caught a crime scene, it was awful" he stared out over the horizon "it was three girls, none of them older than 19, they'd been beaten, raped, and killed" just talking about it made him want throw up, "it just launched me back to that night, and I haven't been able to shake it since" he finally admitted,wiping the tears from his eyes. "I should have helped her, Ma, instead I hid under a bed"

Her heart broke for her son, "Sean, I will be forever grateful you hid under that bed, otherwise I would have buried two children. Sean, you were six years old, had you come out from under that bed he would have killed you too"

Sean broke down, "I miss her" he cried.

She wrapped her arms around him, "we all miss her, Sophie loved you Sean she died protecting you"

Adam pulled up in front of his house and saw an unfamiliar car, he ran inside afraid of what he might find, "Kim is Annie home?" He yelled, stopping dead in his tracks when he saw who was sitting in his living room. "What the hell?"

Zeke locked the door as he left, he needed to pick up a few things before he did anything else.

Annie knew she needed to get her hands free if she had any hope of escaping, her heart raced. She knew Zeke wouldn't be gone long, and she knew he was on the edge.

"Voight!" Bob yelled as he made his way into the 21st, "what are you doing to find my daughter?"

Hank put his hands up "Bob, I've got everyone looking, Adam's family you know that, we're doing what we can"

Bob turned and left, slamming the door on his way out.

"What the hell do they want?""Adam asked Kim once they went in the kitchen, "why are they here?"

Kim braced herself against the cabinets, "I don't know, Adam I didn't know what to do" her parents ringing her doorbell had shocked the shit out of her, "my mother was trying to apologize when you walked in"

He pounded his fist on the counter top "Kim, I can't deal with them right now. They need to leave" he told her. "Please?"

Kim went into the living room, "mother, dad, Adam's sister is missing and now is not the time to try and repair our relationship" she told them.

"I understand" her father said, he stood to leave her mother still sitting, "let's go honey"

Elizabeth was beside herself, "really Kim? His family takes precedent over your own?"

"Elizabeth! That's enough, let's go" Daniel led her out the door, "I hope Adam's sister turns up and that she's okay"

Amy sat at the table the sun had just set and she hadn't heard from Bob, Adam, or Annie. She was beyond scared, she hadn't spoken to Annie since ten the previous night, she was up at six this morning so it meant Annie went missing sometime between 10pm Monday night and six am Tuesday morning.

"Amy, has she called?" Bob asked.

"No" she sighed, "Adam hasn't heard from her?"

"He hasn't, I'm losing my mind here Amy" his voice cracking "I feel so damn helpless"

Annie couldn't believe her luck, she found her phone on the floor under the table. Zeke must have dropped it when he locked her in the room and didn't realize it. She had cut enough of the rope before Zeke had found her with the knife. She tugged her hands apart and the frayed rope split apart, freeing her hands.

She dialed the number, "answer, please answer!!" She had already tried opening the door and was unable to.

Adam grabbed the phone off the counter, "it's Annie" he yelled before answering, "call my dad"

"Annie?" He answered, "where are you?"

Annie wanted to cry as soon as she heard his voice "Adam help me.He has me in some shed or something, I'm scared"

"Who Annie, who has you?" Adam was already putting his shoes back on and put his gun back in his holster, "are you hurt?"

"It's Ezekiel Waters, he's coming back. My god Adam he's gonna kill me" Annie whispered, she tossed the phone back under the table and sat back down where he had left her.

"Did you miss me?" He asked her.

"Adam, you're white as sheet, is she okay?" Kim asked, already having hung up with Bob who was on his way over.

Adam mouthed for a pen and a paper, Kim rushed to get it.

He wrote 'Ezekiel Waters tell Voight, he's got Annie' on the paper and handed it to her as he listened to the person who had his sister captive.

"So, you little bitch. Should we do this the easy way or what you tell me" he asked her, unaware she had even made a phone call or broken free from the restraints.

"What are you going to do to me?" Annie asked, "are you going to kill me like you killed Mallory?"

Adam felt the rage build inside him, he could feel Kim's hand on his back, she handed him a note 'Hank knows, they're trying to track him down now'.

Adam nodded, his dad charging through the front door. He watched as Kim told him and Amy what was going on.

"Kill you? I could do that but I had other things in mind first" he told her, she knew she had to fight otherwise she was as good as dead. She wasn't going to let him touch her in anyway, if she was going to die it wasn't going to be with out a fight.

"Mouse, get me an address for Ezekiel Waters, I need it yesterday. He's got Ruzek's sister" Hank yelled, "everyone needs to be ready to roll out, soon"

Adam listened intently to his sister, he was so proud of her for having held it together and getting help, he just hoped they would be able to find her in time.

His heart was in his throat when he heard the prick threaten her.

Annie found a piece of brick, it wasn't much but it was better than nothing. As he pushed her down to the ground and leaned over her, she screamed and hit him as hard as she could in the back of the head, "you bastard!" She yelled as she pushed his body off of hers.

She reached for the door when she felt him grab her leg and pull her down to the ground, "no, get off of me"

"You're dead now bitch!" Zeke screamed.

"Adam! Help me Adam!" Annie yelled.

Zeke noticed a light from under the table, he pushed Annie down and grabbed the phone, "you dumb bitch, now he knows that I will kill you" he ended the call. "No one can save you now"

Adam screamed, "son of a bitch" he threw the phone at the wall, the phone exploding into pieces. 

"He's gonna kill her, and I can't do anything to help her" he fell to his knees, Kim rushed to his side, "I couldn't help her Kim, I couldn't help her"

Amy and Bob huddled together on the couch.

Mouse came running in, "here's your address Boss, just a few blocks away"

"Let's roll!" Jay yelled, "please let her be okay" he said as he got in the car and Erin put the car in gear and raced to the the address, he put his hand on her thigh "she's gotta be okay Erin, she's gotta be"