Chapter 38

"We just got Jeff Wilkins' cell phone records" Mouse handed everyone a copy of the report, "he made a shit ton of calls to a throw away phone" he was burnt out, "and because of that I haven't a fucking clue who he was calling"

Jay looked over the report, "I'm going out on a limb here but I'm thinking it was his dealer" his eyebrows arched, "we have to find something, this is ridiculous"

It had been a month since his death, and two more since and they hadn't found anything the led them to the source.

"Thank you both for meeting me" Helen said as she clutched a cup of coffee in her hands, craving the heat from it her hands like ice cubes, she fought the tears yet again.

"What's going on?" Kim asked patting her forearm.

"It's Declan" she told her, "something is seriously wrong with him"

Phil raised his eyebrow, "Is he sick?"

She shook her head, "No, it's not like that" she said. She thought back on the last few weeks, "he's lost weight and his attitude is shittier than it's ever been. He's moody and volatile, he always has dark circles under his eyes, and he's constantly twitching" she explained to them. 

Phil ran his hand through his hair, "Son of a bitch" he knew what all those symptoms meant, "Helen, do you think he's taking drugs?"

"He wouldn't" Kim said, "the school drug tests all the athletes, he wouldn't risk it"

Helen picked at the empty sugar packet on her saucer, "but he's no longer an active player, his knee injury changed everything, they wouldn't test him" she was certain the pain pills had led to his possible addiction, "I think he is using, and I don't know what to do"

"Declan? You really think Declan is on drugs?" Kim was blown away, "I will call Adam, see if he knows what to do" she already had her cell phone out and was typing a text message, "this is crazy"

"I think we need to make a move" Johnny told his most trusted men, "Little Declan's been sampling too much of his inventory" it was obvious to everyone in the room the kid was hooked on the pills he was supposed to be selling, "I've had eyes on his mother and I'm afraid she's gonna go to the uncle for help"

"You want us to pick him up?"

"Yea, I've got big plans for Declan" he told them, "far reaching plans, it's gonna be a blast"

"Seriously? Declan?" Adam pulled the shirt over his head, he sat on the edge of the bed, "It's hard to wrap my mind around that one" he took off his wrist watch, "is Helen sure?"

Kim turned on her side, her head propped up on her hand "She seems to be, you need to talk to him, he'll listen to you" the two of them had become close.

They still hadn't discussed the possibility of another baby, Kim couldn't bring herself to ask him again and he'd been so busy that it wasn't even on his radar anymore.

She ran her hand up his back, "you look really stressed, babe"

He laid down on the bed his arm resting on his forehead, "This case is killing us all, Voight's a fucking nightmare to work with lately, I'm surprised he lets us go home at night"

Declan was sitting near the pier when he heard the footsteps, and hand fall on his shoulder.

"What the fuck?" He spun around to see who the hand belonged to, "Oh, shit man you scared the piss out of me" he tried to slow his heart rate, "what's up?"

Terrence jammed his hands in his pockets, "Johnny wants you, he sent me to pick you up"

"Alright, I have my car" he told him.

"I'm driving, I will bring you back for your car" he told him, though it was complete bullshit, Declan wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Declan shrugged, "Everything okay?" He was a little perplexed.

"All good in the hood" he smiled opening the door for Declan.

"Mommy is not a road baby" Erin said as Tyler drove a matchbox car over her stomach, "are you excited for your little brother or sister?"

He looked up at her with his big blue eyes, "I want a doggy" he told her.

Erin couldn't help but laugh, "but we're having a baby"

"I don't want a baby, I want a doggy" he repeated.

Jay finally walking in the door, "hey you two" he put his keys on the sideboard and immediately put his gun in the safe, "I'm exhausted" he told them laying on the couch his head in Erin's lap, "Voight is kicking our asses over this case, you need to start praying, we need some serious divine intervention"

"I will see what I can do" she laughed, grabbing his hand, "feel that?" She asked when she placed it on her stomach the baby kicking up a storm, "I think this one is gonna be a soccer player like daddy"

"Thats wild, what do you think we're having?" They had agreed not to find out.

"I don't know, I'd really like a little girl" she smiled, "Tyler would rather a doggy"

The ringing in his ears was overwhelming, his eyes heavy. He struggled to get his bearings the last thing he remembered was getting in Terrence's car and he had no clue on how he ended up here.

"What the hell man?" His hands tied behind his back, "what is going on?" He asked, Johnny finally coming into view.

"You, young man should have been honest with me" he flicked the ashes from his cigar into the ash tray, "about a lot of things but mainly your connection to Adam Ruzek" he pulled the picture out, "you really should have told me about him, ya know"

Declan felt his stomach turn over, "I'm not that close with him, I hardly ever see him" he lied, he couldn't risk them going after him.

Johnny laughed, "That's horse shit, you know it as well as I do" he grabbed another picture, "this was just a few weeks ago, right before you lost it and started taking your own shit"

"What are you going to do?" He asked, he knew they had already kicked the shit out of him, he didn't remember any of it but his body let him know, the blood on his shirt proof.

Johnny pulled a phone out, "you're going to call Uncle Adam, and ask him to come here" he explained, "tell him you just need to speak with him"

"No! I won't do it" Declan yelled, he knew if Adam showed up it wouldn't end well for either one of them.

Declan didn't see who was on the other end of that bat, but felt the impact as it connected with his torso, "Still not gonna call him?"

He spit on the shoes of whoever hit him, "No! Fuck off"

Johnny pulled another picture out, Charlie's face staring back at him, "Alright, I don't like playing dirty but I'm not above it" and evil grin spreading across his face, "whose it gonna be little sister or poor Uncle Adam?"

Declan knew they had him by the balls, he just hoped he wouldn't regret the choice he was about to make.

---NOTE---

Wanted to get this out tonight, again forgive any errors/typos.

Thanks for reading!