Chapter 1

Lucy POV:

As I walk though these hallways I hear giggles and whispers. I arrive at my locker and am greeted with an insult by the mean girls next to me.

"You're such a loser, you stupid mute" they say.

Yes, I'm a mute. I've been mute ever since my mother died, well that's not entirely true. When my mom was still alive she would sing to me if I was ever sad. Once she was gone I started singing to myself because it reminded me of her, but I never sing in front of my father.

After my mother died, my father began to drink his sorrows away. He eventually started to abuse me. It started with name calling, but soon escalated to punching and kicking. I made a promise to myself to never let him get joy from hearing me scream or cry in pain, so I became mute.

Well, mostly mute.

I can't stop myself from singing when I'm sad or lonely. Singing is the only good thing in my life. However, since I've become a mute people at my high school, Fairy High, think I'm weird or stupid, as a result everyone avoids and teases me. Their insults aren't as bad as my father's, but they still hurt. But, it doesn't matter... it's all my fault anyway.

"There's no point in reminiscing now; I've got to get to class." I thought.

I closed my locker and headed to my next class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I arrived I walked in and sat down in my usual seat, in the back next to the window. Just as class was about to begin our teacher, Mr. Gildarts, announced, "Good morning class! Today we have a new student... and it appears that he's a little late."

Then suddenly a pink haired guy stumbled in and said, "I'm sorry I couldn't find the classroom."

Some snickers were let out across the room.

"That's alright, now introduce yourself to the class." Mr. Gildarts responded.

Then the guy turned to us and happily said, "Hi! My name is Natsu Dragneel! Nice to meet you all."

"Alright Natsu," Mr. Gildarts said, "you can go sit... right there in front of Lucy. Lucy could you raise you hand?"

I quietly raised my hand.

"Oh okay." Natsu said with a grin. Then he slowly walked over and sat down in the seat in front of me.

"Alright class, let's get started!" Mr. Gildarts proceeded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the bell rang signaling the class's end, I start to pack up my things.

As I was putting my notebook in my bag, Natsu, still seated, turned around and asked, "Hi... Lucy? Um I was wondering how I can get to room 324?"

I took the notebook in my hand, turned to a random page and wrote, "Go down the hall and then turn left. It should be right there."

He didn't say anything for a second, but soon responded with, "Thanks!"

Natsu then picked up his bag and headed off.

"Time to get to my class now." I thought as I picked up my bag and left.

Natsu POV:
When I asked Lucy... I think her name is Lucy... or maybe Luigi... I don't know, anyway I wasn't expecting her answer to be written on notebook paper.

I wonder why she didn't just talk?

She seems interesting though, maybe we could be friends.