15 - Catching Up With Chuck

Start from the beginning

Chuck, who was giddy from being able to learn about the past, dragged a chair over to the bed and plopped himself down on the chair with a grin. "I'm ready."

I sighed and sent a small smile at the boy, "Well, before I came, at least eight months before me, a girl named Isabella came up the box apparently. Minho said she had golden blonde hair with strands of brown and the brightest eyes. Everyone says she was very happy, enthusiastic, fun to be around. She was the very first girl to come up the box." I started off, watching as the boy grew interested already.

"She was settling in well at first," I tell him, "at least that's what I heard. She soon settled with being a Track-Hoe and worked alongside Newt and I guess that's where they started to become friends. Her and Newt grew really close, like really close." I described and I felt my tone become suddenly bitter, "I guess push came to shove and they were together ever since the second month there. But not everything turned out as smoothly as they thought."

"Soon after, Gladers who are no longer here started trying to kill her. Minho said that she was almost killed at least eight times: she was beat up, cut, strung up by vines, shoved into the maze with the Grievers, almost stabbed. The list goes on. Apparently she couldn't take it anymore and started falling into a state of depression, but then things started getting weird."

The boy leaned against the bed with anticipation as I continued.

"Apparently she started drawing pictures. Pictures that didn't make sense with words like 'FLOAT, CATCH, BLEED, DEATH, STIFF, PUSH' she even drew some of me. And that's because I wasn't even here when she did. She already knew I was coming, Chuck. Then she started talking in her sleep and hearing voices in her head and ended up saying that some girl was coming to take her place. That her name was Wendy and she was 'The Replacement' and that Isabella was 'The Original'. I'm still scared about how she knew this, but either way, she was right."

"She ended up going into the maze with Newt and Minho to see something that was written on the maze walls one day. When she got there, she was cornered by Grievers and fell off the cliff that drops to someplace we don't know. One week later after she died, I came up the box and everyone hated me."

I sighed and felt tears well up in my eyes, "I was hated and I still am by some people. It's not my fault that Isabella died, it's not my fault that I came up the box to replace her, it's not my fault because I'm not the person I was before the maze. It wasn't my fault, but everyone hated me anyways. Said I took Bella from them and that I was a waste of space even though I didn't even know who I was at the time. Now messages are showing up everywhere: saying that Bella's alive and I'm going to die."

"I don't even understand it. And Newt, he still blames me for Isabella even though I don't even know the girl. He looks at me like I'm nothing and blames me for everything that happened. He's gotten a bit better lately, but I still feel horrible whenever the Gladers and him grieve over her and look at me like I was the cause of it. I just want to help and Newt doesn't realize that. He doesn't realize I'm willing to help him..." I sighed.

"That's it so far. Everyone blames me for Isabella and suddenly I'm the bad guy. I'm just glad I've got Minho, at least he doesn't hate me." I tell Chuck sadly, and I watch as he readjusts himself.

"And me." he beams, "You've got me. I don't blame you, Wendy. It wasn't your fault at all." he tells me and I feel my insides churn.

"Thank you, Chuck." I smiled as I ruffled the boys curly hair, "I really needed that. I just wish other people understood too."

I wish Newt understood.

-

As Wendy spoke to the new Glader and grew closer to him by the minute, Newt stood outside the slightly open door listening intensely.

His face held sadness as the brunette spoke on about his former girlfriend, but he felt even worse that Wendy was hurting because of his grief and anger that he himself couldn't contain. She didn't deserve that and Bella wouldn't want that from me either. And it was true. It wasn't Wendy's fault.

And he'd make sure she knew that.

.

.

.

.

.

there's chapter fifteen, it was a catch up for both you guys and for Chuck since he's a curious twelve year old

make sure to vote and comment, also, check out my new maze runner story called Predator. it revolves around newt and I'm sure you all would love it!

thank you for reading once again and until next time, goodbye!

~ Celeste xx