》inventors

The horse's hooves clopped across the dirt path a distinct kind of ring filling the air when the iron horseshoe would hit a rock. A winter storm was coming. Gray clouds hung low in the sky, pregnant with the impending snow. The Cumberland countryside was lifted and folded into rolling plains and gently mountains and should the snow begin soon there would be no escaping its harsh grasp.

Still the horse and rider moved along, the rider clutching a leather bound book closer, like it was the most precious thing in the world. She was alone in the wilderness, half lost on this long and winding road. From behind she heard another rider approaching, though she could see that the horse carted a buggy along behind it. She pulled her hood up and kept her head down, hoping to simply be passed by like a ghost. Only her plan did not work and the passing horse and rider slowed to her pace.

She did not meet their gaze and her grip on the book tightened. The man looked at her apprehensively, eyeing her cargo and the curious attire she wore. "If you are looking for the post office, I'm afraid you've passed it, seven miles in the opposite direction." She shook her head and dared to look at the face such a charming voice had come from, however she only looked from the corner of her eyes, half her vision obstructed by the deep red cloak.

"Thank you kind sir, but I am not going to the post office." With that the horse and rider began to trot away, it had not taken long for her traveling accomplice to regain her pace. He wore a near threadbare scarf around his neck, a white poet's shirt and open waistcoat below a thick but fading black frock coat. His skin was pale and hands gloved but his smile was wide and hair black as a cunning crow.

"Then where? Surely you will be caught in the storm if your destination is not near." Once more he looked at her curiously, even in peaceful times women rarely rode alone, it was even more curious that she would do so with the winter storms looming in the distance.

"I am looking for Allerdale Hall." She finally spoke of her destination and he could not help but feel the sudden surge of affection but also the need to warn her, to tell her to turn back and never speak of that accursed house again. Many times he had thought of escaping, but he couldn't his soul, his very being was bound to that dilapidating mansion.

"Ah, I see. May I inquire what business you have with the residents?" His voice was completely leveled, despite the inquisitiveness, it was only natural.

Alas, she turned to look at him, with wide blue eyes and ashen brown hair. Her cheeks were red from the nipping wind. "They say an inventor lives there." Thomas had to stop himself from laughing, people rarely spoke of him in such terms and that should have easily told him that her mention of 'them' were not the common folk of the closest town. But even in his self-ridicule the awe in her voice was even to warm him. Their horses marched on instep. "I beg of thee good sir, do not admonish me as others do when I say that I too am an inventor." As if ashamed she turned her head away from the stranger.

"Never good lady, innovation and invention are one in the same regardless of if a man or woman is behind the idea." At his words she looked down at her gloved hands and could not stop the smile from forming across her lips. If only everyone one could view women in the same light as her stranger. "Now I happen to be going to Allerdale Hall myself and should you wish we can harness your mare and you may ride with me." When she looked over to him quickly the first flake of snow was drifting from the clouds and before her eyes, a chilling wind rattled her bones.

"Yes, I think that would be quite wise." The snow continued to fall and quickly her horse was joined with his and she climbed to sit on the perch next to him and the trees passed to reveal on open plain with a long drive. The Iron Gate had the name of the grand home stamped at the top. She knew the area to have red clay and the red drive, and soil proved the claim very well. The mansion was the focal point of the open land, as they passed one of the inventions she could not help but smile.