》daylight

Arthur always knew you and he would make a fine match.

"SORRY," ARTHUR MUTTERS, "hands are rough." He noticed how you pulled away from his calloused touch as he pressed the stained damp cloth against the bloody wound on the back of your shoulder—remnants of an arrow after Bedivere and the Mage helped him dig out the bodkin point. It'd likely been meant for him in the heat of the battle and he cursed himself seeing you fall nigh feet from him, pulled away to shelter by his kingsguard. Even with the power of Excalibur, he'd been unable to protect you—an age-old promise broken.

You lift your gaze from the charred stone floor, looking at your reflections in a fogged-over mirror on the opposite side of the room. Focus has his brows furrowed and lips pressed into a thin line. "You always say that," you tell him, words slurred from the pain, exhaustion, and strongwine, and voice rougher than normal. This isn't the first time Arthur Pendragon has tended your hurts and woes, and at this rate you doubt it'll be the last.

Dried blood and sweat washed away, Arthur picks up the piece of tree bark with a salve prepared by the Mage to stave off the pain for a while and keep the wound from festering. Then, Arthur binds the wound with fresh linen and wipes his hands, kneeling in front of you—hands resting on your hips. You lay your hand on his cheek, thumb sweeping across his cheek, marred with dirt and soot. Leaning toward him, he meets you halfway, and you set your lips on his—a soft, fleeting kiss like the touch of butterfly wings.

"Thank you, Arthur," you tell him, fingertips mindlessly combing through the scruff on his jaw. He straightens to full height but does so with a grimace. "You're sure you're not hurt?" You ask again.

"Just bruises," he assures you, and this time, it seems like he's being truthful, besides the few scratches on his hands and the slim, already scabbed-over, cut on his forehead.

Arthur sits next to you on the edge of the bed, looking toward the open balcony. You both can hear the joyous shouts and chants. Bedivere and the others will only be able to satiate the men for so long. They will want to hear from the one who led them to victory. From the Born King. "They'll be waiting for you to give a speech," you tell him.

"They're waiting to go headfirst into the barrels of grog," he amends, but if the out-of-tune songs are anything to go off of...

"Sounds like they already have," you laugh. Tonight, there will be revelries for the victory against Vortigern and his forces. In the following days, there'll be feasts to honor the fallen and growing lists of preparations for a coronation. But right now, Arthur Pendragon doesn't want to be a king just yet. Right now, he's content just to be Arthur the street rat, especially when you lean your head against his shoulder and link your fingers through his—and then he's certain there's no one else in all of England for him except you.

"HIDING FROM ME? Or everyone else?" Your head quickly swivels to the side, only to relax at the sight of Arthur approaching. You cannot help but wonder how he isn't cold. He's not dressed anywhere near as layered or warm as he should be for the winter evening, but somehow, he manages to look cozy even in just a scarlet linen-and-wool doublet. Stepping back, your eyes flit up to the scarlet-tinged leaves, still clinging to the branches of the white-bark birch, before looking beyond to the fresh falling snow.

He stops at your side and looks up, too. "Was just thinking about what a bad influence you've been on my person," you tell him, a small half-smirk creeping onto your features. Arthur tilts his head back in amused question, then stares up at the leaves and the silver sliver of the moon peeking through the winter clouds. "As I recall, I was an innocent girl before you came along and ruined all that."

His blue eyes narrow, arms crossing over his chest. "You'll have to refresh my memory on how I did that, darlin'." He moves a little closer, and you sense his ploy, twisting and ducking when he moves to grab you.