No One Said This Would Be Easy | 2

Please vote and comment! The appreciation from readers and fans always motivates me to write faster! Happy Reading!

Chapter 2: And the Surprises Keep Coming 

4:00 P.M., Maloney's Backyard

With an amused smile on my face, I walked toward Derek. No surprise, he was already flirting with some blonde-haired girl I vaguely recognized. When he saw me he quickly whispered something in her ear to shoo her away. She left giggling before giving Derek a wink.

When I was reached Derek I did something I never do, I hugged him. He didn't hug back, but gingerly ruffled my hair. When I pulled away, I noticed he still had that arrogant smirk plastered on his face. I poked his cheek, "You know, you shouldn't smile like that. Your face might freeze up and then you'll be twice as ugly than usual." I said coyly. He simply rolled his eyes and slapped my finger away.

"Dusty, I gotcha good today, admit it. You didn't suspect a thing." I playfully punched his shoulder causing him to nearly drop the camera. "Dusty," he said with a fake look of disappointment, "what have I told you about hitting a man with a camera in his hands?"

An unattractive snort escaped my mouth, "Man? More like ignorant boy by the looks of it! Also, I didn't know you loved me enough to through me a party. You looooovee me." I teased.

He wrinkled his nose at my words, "Love you? How about I tolerate you... barely and what makes you think I threw this party for you?"

I gave him a baffled look, "Is this not a 17h birthday for me? Or is there some other Dustin running around?" My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Dusty, you don't do that with your face, it makes you look twice as ugly," he mocked, "Wll, maybe this is a party for you... or maybe it's an excuse to have booze and friends over." He shrugged.

"Nope, you threw this party because you loooove me." I said before running away, laughing, in the opposite direction so he wouldn't have enough time to deny it.

Since I was blindly running, it wasn't a surprise that I crashed into someone and we both stumbled backward. I could hear Derek's obnoxious laughter in the background.

I pulled myself up and dusted of my shirt. When I bent down to offer a hand to the person I had ran into, she slapped it away and helped herself up. Well then.

She brushed all the grass off of her party outfit and looked up to glare at me. I was expecting a snide comment on my clumsiness, however, instead she smiled and glomped me in a bear hug.

That was unexpected, so I lost my balance and we both went toppling to the floor. She quickly let go of me and sprung back to her feet, I did the same. I gave her an odd look before saying, "Thank you?"

She chuckled. "Dusty, you seriously don't know who I am?" She questioned. Our awkward staring contest continued. "I'm Maggie, you twit." I smile of recognition spread across my face and I hugged her in excitement. Thankfully, this hug didn't end with us on the floor.

"Margaret, I miss you so much!" I said squeezing her tight. Then she pulled away and pinched my arm. "Hey!" I yelled.

"I told you never to call me by my horrid first name. It's Maggie, okay!" I looked her up and down and smiled at one of my only childhood friends. She, too, was sizing me up. However, she was frowning. "Honey, did you dress yourself in the dark?"

This time I frowned. Looking down at my outfit, I didn't see anything wrong with it. I wore a pair of cotton red shorts, a tie-dye shirt, and white knee high socks. I shrugged, it was comfortable and I wasn't expecting that many guests today.