Take A Look At Me Now

Chapter Thirteen

Take A Look At Me Now

(Playlist – We'll Be the Stars by Sabrina Carpenter)

Kota's POV:

Six a.m. I look over at Sang's sleeping form curled into me. I am going to miss this. I had already done the mathematical calculations of how long we were going to be gone at the absolute minimum. I exhaled audibly. Sang curled in even tighter, "five more minutes." I smiled. I was definitely going to miss that.

All of a sudden she shot up and headed straight for the bathroom. She must have been half asleep though. She went right instead of left. She looked at me, panicking. I grabbed the wastebasket and held it up for her while she emptied her stomach. When she finished up, I helped her sit. I tied up the trash bag, double-bagged it, and took it out; I would have Sean put a biohazard label on it later. I went back up and washed my hands after I re-bagged the trash can, then grabbed a cool wet wash cloth.

"You ok?" She nodded. "10, baby. I know you quit taking your pills. Do you think, just by chance, that you could be, you know?"

"I am just a little bit late, but we have been through this before. It's just stress." She was laughing it off. She didn't want to worry any of us.

"I'm going to call Sean. We have a little time before ... before we need to take a little drive." I slid my thumb across the cell phone and tapped on his picture. "Hey Sean, it might be a code pink, but I am not sure." Pause. "OK. I will meet you down there. Yes my stuff is all ready. No I'm not. Ten minutes max." I hung the phone up. "Sean wants to run a couple tests, just in case."

"I feel fine now." She said flopping back on the bed. "I just want to brush my teeth and eat. I am starving."

I gave her a skeptical look, and shook my head. "Go brush your teeth. We need to leave shortly." I started to get dressed as she went to brush her teeth. We both walked downstairs to a busy dining room.

The Tomas had come over to help with breakfast as well. Raven looked at me and shifted his eyes to pull me in the other room. I followed him. "Did she get sick again?"

"Yes, she did. She says it's just nerves."

"Yesterday. In the morning. Kayli did that with twins. She looks... blednyy. Uh, pale."

I looked at him for a moment before replying. "I don't know whether to throw her over my knee and spank her, or punch you for not telling me sooner." I pushed my glasses up my nose to drive the point home.

"Anytime Kota. I didn't talk because she asks. It was wedding day. New day today."

Deep breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth. It wasn't even seven in the morning and I was stressed. Where was North? Wasn't it his job to do this to me? Or at the very least Sean's. Oh yeah. "We are going to see Sean after breakfast, then we have to take a quick road trip to... "

"Air Frost Base?" he finished my sentence for me.

"Air Force Base," I corrected him.

"Where I go, same thing." Then he turned and headed in to eat.

"How did you know? Never mind." I slid my thumb over my phone again to call Sean.

"Kota, don't call. I'm a doctor. I need to keep my line open," he answered, quite chipper.

"Says the one who has been blowing up my phone asking questions about Sang. Be patient. We will be there. Just act like it's a normal day. For all of us."