Chapter Fourteeen

“Now, are you sure you want to do this?” Fallon asked.      

“I already told you I was doing this,” Lucian reminded her.            

Instead of doing her weekend run in her neighborhood, Lucian insisted on taking them to the park so they could look like normal people. Fallon was still laughing about that one. There was nothing normal about either of them, but she didn’t argue with him. She also didn’t bother to point out that despite what happened to her last weekend, nothing happened since then. Knowing Lucian as well as she did, she already knew that wouldn’t matter to him. He’d just tell her that meant his plan of not taking chances was working.   

“Okay, are you sure you can keep up with me?” she teased.            

“Please,” Lucian snorted. “I can probably run ten times faster and further than you.”                    

“You probably could, but we’re not racing.”

“I know. So, you ready to do this or what?” 

They set off down the dirt path that wound around the perimeter of the park. As they trotted along, she realized it was the first time she’d run with someone since she’d come back. When she stayed with Ellen, they used to jog together every day. The two of them would always go out early in the morning so they’d beat the summer heat. Since she’d come back, jogging had been a solo sport. It wasn’t just about keeping in shape either. It was her chance to clear her mind. With Lucian beside her, all she could think about was him. Of course he was kind of a nice distraction. She stole a sideways glance at him and took notice of how muscular his legs were. Fallon still couldn’t get over how hot he was. At sixteen, he was already six feet tall and filled out in all the right places. As she reveled in his dark good looks, it occurred to her there were a lot better ways they could burn calories.     

Lucian turned and began jogging backwards so he was face to face with her. “What’d you have in mind?”             

“You better be careful, or you’ll fall on your ass.”    

“If I do, I’ll get back up. So, what’d you have in mind?”    

“For what?”   

“Better ways to burn calories.”          

Fallon smirked. “I don’t know. Tennis might be fun or maybe golf.”          

“I’ve got a way better idea.” 

Before Fallon could ask what his better idea was, he cinched his arms around her waist and they disappeared. A second later they were standing in his room.           

“I’ll bet that freaked some people out,” she laughed.           

Lucian shrugged. “They’ll get over it.”         

Fallon smiled up at him as she snaked her arms around his neck. “Let’s burn some calories.”

Then she gave him the first of many kisses she planned on giving him that afternoon.

 As usual, her mom was already up by the time Fallon rolled out of bed on Sunday morning. Instead of dressing in her jogging clothes, she headed for the kitchen.                         

Gwen looked up from where she sat at the kitchen table still reading the Sunday ads. “You’re not going jogging today?”             

Fallon pulled the orange juice and a container of plain yogurt from the refrigerator. “Not today. Lucian and I are just gonna hang out, maybe hit the mall and then grab some lunch.”