Chapter Twelve

In her first period math class on Monday morning, Fallon couldn’t stop squirming in her seat. She felt like a little kid on Christmas morning whose mom was making her wait to open her presents. Today her present was Lucian. Soon everyone would know he was back, and they could be together for everyone to see. Before that could happen, Simeon had to take him to the main office to settle his school schedule and decide how to handle the three months of work he’d missed. Until then, Fallon pulled her cell phone from her pocket every few minutes to see if he’d sent his text yet. Of course he hadn’t or she would’ve felt the alert vibrate against her hip. That didn’t stop her from being disappointed every time. On seeing what she was doing, Griffin just grinned and shook his head.     

Twenty minutes into the class, the door squeaked open and a buzz swept through the room. Fallon looked up from the math problem she was working on, and her heart leapt to her throat when she locked eyes with Lucian. He smiled at her and then walked to the front of the class to give the teacher his class schedule. Miss Timbers stared at him with wide eyes for a moment before she recovered enough to take his schedule.         

“Class, we have a new student. This is Lucian Locke.”        

Fallon didn’t know what was funnier- the open mouths and huge eyes on the faces of the God Squad or that look of fear she could see in Ted’s eyes. Their reactions were something she knew they’d be laughing about for a while.

Miss Timbers swept her eyes around the room. “You can take that empty chair over there by Ted. Raise your hand, Ted.”    

Ted raised his hand as though it weighed a hundred pounds. Fallon and Griffin cracked up to see him turn white as Lucian strolled toward him. Every pair of eyes in the room tracked his movement.          

“All right then, let’s get back to our worksheet,” Miss Timbers suggested. “Ted, I need you to work with Lucian.”         

“What?” Ted choked, and Fallon giggled.    

“I’d like you to explain to Lucian what needs to be done.”

“Um, okay.”

“Don’t worry, Teddy, I won’t hurt you,” Lucian said and then winked at Fallon before he added, “yet.”           

As soon as the bell rang to end first period, Ted jumped from his chair and shot out the door. The God Squad was hot on his heels, but Fallon knew they weren’t going after him. No doubt they were making plans to meet at lunch and decide how to handle Lucian’s return.     

“That’s got to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen,” Griffin said.     

“What?” Fallon asked. “The look on Ted’s face when he saw Lucian or the way he acted when Timbers told him to help Lucian?”  

“The way he just ran out of class like a beaten dog,” Griffin said, and they all laughed. “How’d you even get in our class anyway?”’

“Sim had a meeting with my counselor and vice principal and told them he wanted me and you in all the same classes this year,” Lucian answered.     

“And they went for it?”     

“Not at first. They made this big deal about how their policy is that they don’t put siblings in the same classes, and especially not identical twins. So Simeon tells them he doesn’t give a damn what their policy is and after all I’ve been through being missing for three months and missing all this school, he expects them to bend the rules because your help and support is going to ensure my success. Then he says if they don’t go for it he’ll sue their asses.”