Chapter Twenty-six

Fallon heaved a sigh when Lucian pulled his car in front of the school on Monday morning. After all the fun they had over the weekend, the last thing she wanted to do was go back to school and waste her time listening to the teachers. It wasn’t like she needed to pay attention to what they were saying. With her ability to do black magic, she could get an A on every assignment and test thrown her way. The realization that she still had another four and a half months to deal with this junk deepened her frown.

“Why do we bother to come here every day?”

Lucian grinned at her. “Haven’t we had this talk before?”

“Yeah, but this place is so freaking boring.” 

“Looks like it’s about to get a little bit more interesting.” 

Even before he jerked his head in front of him, Fallon could see what he meant. Katie and her friends marched toward them.

Fallon smiled in anticipation of what was coming next. “Hey, Katie. I had fun hanging out with you at the dance the other night.”

“I’m not afraid of you anymore. I’ve got the power of Jesus Christ on my side.”

Katie and her friends reached to grab the crosses suspended from their necks. The way they held their crosses in the air made Fallon laugh.

“Cute,” Fallon murmured. “But are you sure this is a game you want to play?”

“Good always beats evil in any game,” Katie pointed out.

“Only in the land of make believe,” Lucian said. “In the real world, good needs evil to exist.”

Katie frowned at them. “What?”

Fallon turned to Lucian. “Figures Jesus Junior would leave out the important stuff,” she said and then looked back at Katie. “Before you start something you can’t finish, I think you should ask your new friends what happened the last time someone waved crosses at us.”

Lucian resumed his grin. “See ya soon, girls,” he said, and then he and Fallon started toward their first period class. “That was kind of fun, wasn’t it?”

“It wasn’t bad.” 

“And just think you would’ve missed that if you hadn’t come here today.”

That was a trade Fallon would’ve been willing to make. After all, she didn’t need to come to school to mess with Katie or anyone else.

At lunch time, Fallon frowned to see Daphne and Seth holding hands as they sat side by side at the picnic tables. So much for ancient history.

“Who’s going to the Valentine’s dance?” Daphne asked.

Fallon rolled her eyes. “No more dances for me.” 

“You know you had fun at the formal.”

The only fun she had at the formal came from torturing Katie. She could live without the rest of it. Besides, they were getting a little too old to be going to school dances in the gym.

“Seth and I are going,” Daphne announced.

Seth furrowed his brow. “We are?”

“Yes, we are,” Daphne insisted.

“I better be getting laid for this,” Seth joked.

Daphne gave him a sweet smile. “Keep talking like that and you’ll never get laid again.”

Fallon smirked to see Seth stay silent. Her smirk faded when she noticed the way Ava was looking at Griffin. Even without reading her mind, Fallon knew what Ava was thinking. She knew it because it was the same thing she always thought when she looked at Griffin. The look on Ava’s face was the same one Fallon gave him when she wanted him.