Chapter Eleven

Fallon waited until after midnight to see her mom, but she didn’t get tired. Even if she wanted to sleep, the excitement coursing through her veins kept her awake. It was nearly twelve thirty in the morning when she heard her mom’s keys rattling in the door. Fallon jumped from the couch and rushed to greet her mom at the door.

“Fallon, what are you doing up? Is everything all right?”

“Mom, I  ”

“Have you been crying?”

“Yeah, but  ”

“Why are you crying? What’s going on?”

“Just listen, I’m not sad. I’m happy. Lucian’s back.”

“What? When did this happen?”

“Tonight.”

Gwen threw her arms around her. “This is such wonderful news. Sit down and tell me everything.”

Her mom let go of her long enough for them to move to the couch. As soon as they were seated, Gwen reached to take both of her hands. “Now, tell me everything.”  

“I don’t know everything,” Fallon admitted, and her mom frowned. “They found him a few hours ago, and the last I heard he was being questioned by the police.”

Gwen’s frown softened. “I’m glad they found him, but he’s probably been through a terrible ordeal.”

“Yeah.”

“Fallon, if you’re going to stay with Lucian  ”

“Of course I’m going to stay with him. I love him, Mom.”

“I know you do, honey,” Gwen said and squeezed her hand. “And I know you don’t want to hear this, but it might be too early to know how he feels. You need to be prepared that whatever happened to him might have changed things between you two forever.”

Fallon knew her mom was right, but it wasn’t the way she meant it. What happened to Lucian would change things between them forever. At last, she’d proven to everyone she was the one true soul mate of Sinister. Maybe now Satan would let them be together without making her pass anymore tests.

Because of the Labor Day holiday, Fallon didn’t have to be up early on Monday morning. After the excitement of the day before and staying up so late to talk to her mom, her body and soul welcomed the opportunity to recharge. She smiled when she opened her eyes and saw it was almost eleven. Instead of lingering in bed as she’d done so many mornings since Lucian left, she hopped from bed and headed straight for the kitchen.

“Good morning,” Gwen said and then smirked at her. “At least what’s left of it anyway.”

“Good what’s left of the morning to you too,” Fallon retorted and her mom laughed.

Fallon pulled a container of mixed berry yogurt from the fridge and a spoon from the utensil drawer. With her healthy breakfast in hand, she joined her mom on the couch.

“Don’t get yogurt on my couch,” Gwen warned.

“I won’t.”

“Are you going to see Lucian today?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“I want too, but I was thinking about what you said and I thought maybe he’d want some space for a few days,” Fallon explained, and Gwen shook her head. “What?”

“I’m just wondering when you got so mature.”

“I wouldn’t get too excited. I’ve probably got plenty of stupid things left to do while I’m still a teenager.”