Chapter One

“Fallon! Fallon, wake up!”     

Her mother’s voice floated across a black chasm. As she stared into the abyss, she wondered how to cross back into reality. Suddenly, the heat of a strong hand closed around hers, and she felt herself being pulled across the distance. When she opened her eyes, she found herself staring into the concerned faces of her mother and Griffin.            

“Are you all right?” her mother asked.          

Fallon frowned up at them. “I think so.”

Gwen popped to her feet. “I’ll get you some water. Stay put, and don’t sit up too fast.”   

While her mother rattled around in the kitchen, Fallon pulled herself to a sitting position. Griffin still kneeled beside her studying her with a look she’d never seen from him before. There was genuine concern in his black eyes. It reminded her of the way his twin brother looked at her when she’d been in the hospital a few months ago.      

Fallon’s eyes dropped to the chain he held in his hands. The silver chain with the tiny keys dangling in the middle belonged to his brother, Lucian. It hadn’t been off his neck since he’d put it on last Christmas, nor had the companion she wore been off of hers. Around her neck, she wore a silver chain with a lock charm. Lock and keys, they’d been Lucian’s idea and were meant to symbolize the two of them. Lucian Locke and Fallon Keyes; separately they didn’t mean anything but together they were the most powerful force in the world.

“Sure you’re okay?” Griffin asked.   

Before she could answer, her mother rushed in and shoved a glass of water under her nose. “Drink this.”

Fallon didn’t want to drink it, but she knew her mom wouldn’t be satisfied if she didn’t. She took a few tiny sips and pushed the glass back at her mother.

“Thanks, but I’m fine.”          

In order to prove it, she got to her feet. All the while, Gwen watched her with that pinched brow all mothers got when their kids were in trouble.

Though her heart pounded with fear, she forced herself to smile at her mom. “See, I’m fine.”

Gwen didn’t look convinced. “I suppose it was just the shock of the news,” she conceded and turned an almost accusing stare in Griffin’s direction.  

Griffin took the hint. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you faint. I’m just freaked out.”        

“What happened?” Fallon demanded. “What’s going on?”  

When Griffin started to speak, Gwen held out a hand to stop him. “Why don’t we sit down and talk about this?”

The three of them moved to sit at the kitchen table.

“All right, now tell us what happened,” Gwen took charge of the conversation. “Why do you think your brother’s missing?”    

The words stabbed at Fallon’s heart. They sounded so real and so final.     

Griffin held the chain between them. “Lucian never takes this off.”            

“Maybe it fell off, and he doesn’t know,” Gwen offered. “Or maybe he knows it’s missing, and he’s out looking for it which is why you can’t find him.”      

“He’s not answering my calls,” Griffin said, staring straight at Fallon as he spoke.

“Maybe he left his phone at home,” Gwen said. “Or maybe the battery’s dead.”