Chapter 4

I glared at the little stripe of sunshine, peeking through a gap in the blinds, that shone right into my eyes and woke me up.

It had no right to do that.

After a solid two minutes, I came to the conclusion that glaring at the sun wasn't going to change the situation. Heaving a sigh, I managed to drag myself out of my warm bed.

Looking around the unfamiliar room, my eyes saddened. So it wasn't a dream after all, I really was stuck here on my own. I swallowed thickly, willing the tears prickling behind my eyes to retreat. Crying was not going to make this situation any better.

Sucking in a deep breath, I lightly slapped my cheeks.

"It's okay, Mizuki. Natsu will definitely find you. He always does."

Grabbing the clothes I had haphazardly discarded on the floor the night before, I quickly put them on again, using a hand to rake through my hair as a sort of impromptu comb. If Ariel could do it with a fork then I can do it with my hands.

Walking to the door, I was surprised to see that the Kakashi guy had unlocked it while I was sleeping. Tentatively, I opened the door and peered into the hallway.

The heavenly scent of fresh pancakes wafted through the house and my stomach grumbled appreciatingly. With light footsteps I tiptoed down the stairs at the end of the hallway.

I froze midway down the stairs, taking in the sight in front of me. Kakashi stood in the kitchen with his back turned towards me, the hot pink straps of an apron peeked behind his neck. He was using two pans to bake the pancakes, a fairly large stack already on a plate on the table. 

It was so... homely.

"Ah you're up already. How are you feeling?" 

I startled at his voice, surprised he had noticed me as he had not given any indication of having done so before. He turned around to face me, flipping a pancake without even looking at it, his visible eye crinkled, indicating a smile under the ever-present mask.

"I'm feeling well, thank you." I replied hesitantly, "Should I help with breakfast, Kakashi-san?"

Maybe if I was nice enough, they would let me go. I could go to a nearby village and ask them for directions back home. Surely, the other villages here would be less... strange.

"No no, it's okay. Also, you can just call me Kakashi if you'd like, Mizuki." He said as he flipped the final pancake he was making on the plate on the table. He filled two glasses with water and put them on the table. "Please eat up."

I smiled appreciatively, I hadn't really eaten anything since yesterday morning so I was positively starving at this point. 

"Very well, Kakashi." The name still felt foreign on my tongue. "How late are we supposed to be at the Hokage's office?" 

Pulling out one of the kitchen chairs, I took my seat across from where he had taken his own, reaching for the big stack of pancakes to place one on my own plate, smothering it in syrup. I tentatively took a bite, lips twitching up at the delicious taste.

"We're supposed to be there in about two hours, so we still have plenty of time." He responded as he just stared at me eating.

I tried my very best to hide my discomfort at his scrutinizing gaze, glancing at his own untouched pancake.

"Excuse me, Kakashi, are you not going to eat your own pancake? It will get cold like this."

"Ah, it's just that I'd rather not take of my mask, so I'll eat when you're finished." He replied, rubbing at his neck awkwardly.