Chapter 8

After several long hours of watching other teams get picked up by their jounin sensei, I was getting bored and admittedly rather annoyed. I could forgive being a few minutes late, not always being the most punctual myself, but literal hours was going too far.

Surely our sensei hadn't... forgotten right? 

No way, being assigned a group of genin you would be mentoring for at least two to three years surely was a big thing, even for an experienced shinobi. A first impression went both ways after all and I was already disliking my new sensei.

I had started doodling on an empty sheet of paper some time ago and hid since moved on from trying to draw kunai, shuriken and dragons with my extremely limited artistic talents, to just filling the whole paper with black ink. 

I was pulled from my mindless coloring by Naruto, who hadn't been able to sit still for more than five minutes at a time, propping up an eraser on top of the door frame, making it so that it would fall down when someone opened the door from the outside. 

Surely a high-level shinobi such as a jounin wouldn't actually fall for that. Additionally, it would totally screw up their first impression of us...not that I particularly cared for that much after making us wait this long.

"A jounin isn't going to fall for a plain old booby trap like that." Sasuke said from his seat all the way in the front next to the window, and I agreed with him internally.

Oh yes, all three of us were sitting as widely spread in the room as physically possible. Because that was what good teammates, in whose hands you would need to put your life, did. To be fair though, it wasn't like I had tried to interact much with the two boys during our quiet waiting time.

Upon the creaking sound of the door opening, all eyes in the room were zoomed in on the door, anxiously waiting to see the person who would become their mentor for the next years. Ever so slowly, the door slid open, causing the eraser to tilt down, falling falling falling to hit... Kakashi on the top of his head.

I let out the breath I had unconsciously held in anticipation out in a small huff at the familiar face, glancing around the room unimpressed as his gaze landed first on Naruto, clutching his stomach from laughing at his successful prank, then on the stoic Uchiha who was staring distastefully at his classmate with his arms crossed in disdain, and then finally landing on me. 

Well, he kind of deserved that after making us wait for, I quickly checked the clock in the corner of the room, two and a half hour.

I wasn't sure how to feel about Kakashi being assigned as our teacher. On one hand it saved me the struggle of having to get a feel for an entirely unknown person and I knew Kakashi was a decently good teacher based on how he had taught me the clone jutsu initially, but it was also kind of awkward to live in the same house as your sensei right?

"How should I say this, my first impressions on you guys are that I hate you."

His monotone voice droned out nonchalantly. Naruto, who was rolling on the floor in mirth at this point, instantly stopped laughing and sat up, his shoulders drooping comically. In front of her, she could see Sasuke's fists clenching angrily under the desk.

"Meet me at the rooftop." Kakashi disappeared in a cloud of smoke, presumably too lazy to walk up the stairs himself. Which, fair. If I could do that, I would also abuse it at all times. 

Without waiting on the boys, I got up, stretching my back from inaction, and made my way up the several flights of stairs.

Kakashi was already waiting for us, his back leaning against the railing casually with his arms folded in front of him. I nodded hesitantly at him, unsure whether I was also included in the 'I hate you' statement. Judging by the way the look in his eye, both bored, annoyed and alert at the same time somehow, softened ever so slightly as he gestured for me to take a seat in front of him, I hoped not.