Ch. 20 - Carrying the Burden

< Chapter 20: Carrying the Burden >

♥ Jamie's POV: ♥

It's been three days now since I've been at the hospital. I was instructed to rest up and take things slow, but on this particular morning, there was too much going on in my mind.

For starters, I wasn't quite sure what to do about Hanna revealing her evil intentions upon me. I just knew I couldn't tell anyone yet. Not until I knew how to approach the situation myself. For the last few days, I've just been taking care of Jason, but now I was finally having some time to myself while Phoebe was kind enough to babysit. So I was out on a morning jog to clear my head.

Oh right... And since Justin and I talked that night at the hospital, we haven't spoken to each other since. I figured he was busy and that I should let him focus on his tour and rest up. I don't want to be such a bother to him, so carrying the burden of my problems is the least I can do.

When I arrived back at Phoebe's after my jog, Chaz was the one who opened the door to let me in.

"Whoa, since when did you get here?" I smiled at him, brushing off sweat from my forehead.

"Not too long ago. I figured we can all hang out today, but Ryan has some family stuff so it's just the four of us," he explained.

Four? Oh.

"Hello Jamie," Hanna appeared in the living room, giving me a bright smile that had just enough menace to it for only me to notice.

Shit.

"Hi," I replied bluntly, not wanting to give off the impression that something happened between us. I turned my attention towards Phoebe. "Is Jason sleeping?"

"He just fell asleep after I fed him his formula," she nodded.

"Then I'm gonna go take a quick shower and wash this sweat off," I said.

"Okay," Phoebe hummed. "Are you hungry, Hanna?"

"Actually, I am," Hanna pointed out, her gaze not leaving mine.

"Alright then let's go to the kitchen and see what we can find," Phoebe said with unnecessary enthusiasm, and I was sure she used that as an excuse to also get herself food in the process.

After staring at me for a couple of more seconds, Hanna finally followed Phoebe and they disappeared down the hall.

"Have you talked to Justin recently?" Chaz suddenly asked, plopping himself down on the couch.

"No.." I whisper. "Have you?"

"No." He grabbed the television remote and started flipping through channels. There was a slight pause before words began to slip from my mouth.

"Do you really like Hanna, Chaz?" I blurted out, immediately regretting bringing up the topic.

Chaz stops pressing buttons on the remote and looks up at me.

"What do you mean?"

"Like.. Are you in love with her?" I bit my lip.

"I don't know yet," he says silently. "I really like her a lot, though. She's amazing."

Is she really?

"Why do you ask?" he began flipping through channels again. "You want to be the first to tease me about love?"

"Not really," I chuckle. Your girlfriend's just not who you think she is.

"Then why?"

I let out a small sigh and shake my head. "It's nothing. I'm gonna go take that shower now."