twelve; the walking dead

Start from the beginning

Aurora looked like she was in a sleepish daze, her lashes blinking against her flushed cheeks. "He just said his name."

"Emma." The mother of the Savior loudly said, 'causing everyone's heads to turn towards her. "It's going to be okay."

"We are so far from okay!"

"No. We have a way home now."

A scoff slipped through Sage's lips, before she could stop it. "We have a compass, and the wardrobe ashes are still with Cora. From my eyes, going home is a far fetch."

"Any attempt to steal from her would be suicide." Mulan added, while Sage nodded in agreement. She didn't know Cora and didn't even know what she looked liked, but from what Snow has told her, Cora was a nasty villain to face with the worst intentions.

"Not anymore." Snow shook her head, her arms crossed tightly to her chest and a sly smile rising upon her red lips. "We can stop her."

"How?"

"I don't know. But I know someone who does." Her eyes lifted up, meeting the curious gaze of Emma and Sage, both girls wondering what kind of plan was running around in Snow's mind. "Rumpelstiltskin. He'll know a way."

Both women finally went into realization of the amazing opportunity that had arrived. It probably was the only way they could defeat Cora and get back to Storybrooke, to their families. "Henry. We can talk to him. Now we can communicate!" Emma spoke out-loud, her heart racing at the thought of reuniting with her son.

"Wait, wait!" Aurora went into a sudden panic, anxiety rushing through her veins and unnerving every cell in her body. The Netherworld, or as she liked to call it Hell, was a fire pity of burning flames that Aurora didn't want to return to with eager. Going back there once, going back to that inferno of misery, was punishment enough. But from the looks of determination that came from the three modern women it didn't look like she had a say in the matter.

"That's right, princess. You're going back to sleep."

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Sage Chamberlain silently stared at the fire pit in front of her, watching as the flames danced and intertwined with one another. Night time had fallen even quicker and the sky turned from a dark blue into a pitch black. The only light came from the fire, illuminating the small camp ground her and the girls set up. Her knees were pulled up to her chest, her thin arms wrapped around them tightly. As hours passed, the weather grew colder, causing chills to run down her spin. The only warmth she got was from the fire and her dark brown quilted faux leather jacket. Sleep seemed irrelevant at this point and it came as a surprise to her that Emma and Snow were able to get some peaceful shut-eye. Ever since the discovery that Aurora was able to communicate with Henry through her dream of a burning room, Sage hasn't been able to easily sleep. The thought that she was one step closer to going home made Sage's body vibrate with anxiousness, not wanting to wait for the sun to rise for their journey to begin. But at they same time, she was also clever and knew not getting rest would not bring her closer to Storybrooke and her family.

Family. That was an unfamiliar word that ringed into her ears. Family was like a hollow ghost that wouldn't leave her alone, but wouldn't come back. The story of her parent's abandonment wasn't something Sage liked to think about often and if one thing was absolutely clear, it screwed her up. Love was rare in her life and whenever she found it, somehow she always lost it. While Sage had convinced herself that she would never have a proper and loving family, the Charming family convinced her otherwise. Even before the Dark Curse was placed upon them, her and Snow White had bonded like sisters, along with Red Riding Hood. Then came along Prince Charming and he joined right along into Sage's circle of trust. There were so many times where both Mary Margaret and Emma had said to her that Sage was their family, blood or no blood, but it wasn't glued into her head quite yet. Walls were purposely built up around her, locking Sage into a cage that she never wanted to leave. She vowed to herself that no one would brick down her walls.