part one [2]

warning: mention of abuse
june (year 6)
it was a few months after josh had first met tyler. they had grown very close through that time. josh had been to tyler's house many times but tyler had never been to his house. josh's mum didn't allow josh to have friends over as she didn't "trust those slimy rats hanging around my home." it was strange. "they're not worth your time, josh," she'd repeat over and over.

"tyler, come see my treehouse!" josh exclaimed excitedly, looking behind him at tyler who had a huge grin on his face. the giggles coming from the two young boys drowned out the sounds of josh's mum arguing with his dad.

ever since josh and his family had moved, his parents hadn't stopped fighting. he was worried. he didn't want either of his parents to be sad, or hate each other. josh and his siblings stayed up in the treehouse - that came with their new house - to get away.

"it's so cool," tyler enthused as he stared up at the wooden treehouse with wide, intriuged eyes. "can we go up?" josh nodded and they climbed up the sturdy ladder up to the treehouse. josh opened up the door and they headed inside.

the wall directly in front of the pair was covered in posters of superheros that had come out of josh's newest comic book. josh's personal favourite was spiderman. i mean, who wouldn't want to shoot spiderwebs out of their fingertips? next to the posters there was an open window where josh had a clear view of his house. there was another identical window on the wall towards the right.

three beanbags - one black and white striped, one blue and another green - were placed in the left corner alongside a crate full of more comics that josh owned. there was a stereo sitting across from the crate. josh didn't have any cds yet and his dad only owned one david bowie disc. josh was saving up for the newest fall out boy album with his chore money.

"woah." tyler said in awe as he sifted through the crate of comics. "this is sick, josh! i wish i had a treehouse!" josh chuckled in response and sat down onto the green beanbag. tyler put back the comic he was looking at and gestured toward the stereo. "do you have any fall out boy or green day here?"

josh shook his head. "i'm saving up for the fall out boy cd, but i don't know who green day are." he laughed awkwardly.

"my dad loves them! i'll bring the disc over here one time and we can listen to it." tyler smiled, sitting down on the black-and-white-striped beanbag next to josh. he grabbed two comics out of the crate and handed one to tyler.

"thanks for standing up to that bully - jacob - on the first day of school." josh said as he opened the book.

"it's okay! he's an idiot anyway."

the pair sat in silence as they read. josh was happy that he had finally made a friend. he was worried when he first moved to his new school, that nobody would like him. tyler was a really nice guy, and he liked fall out boy so that was a bonus.  

josh was nearly at the end of his comic when he heard a loud voice coming from  outside the treehouse. tyler looked at him with a confused expression. josh peered out the window to see his mother yelling up at him from down below.

"get down here, josh! right now!" she practically screamed. she did not look happy. josh gulped nervously and turned to tyler who looked equally as scared.

they scurried back down the ladder, josh's arms shaking a little bit. they reached the ground and were met with josh's mother, whose ears were bright red. she was holding tyler's skeleton backpack that he had left in the kitchen.

"josh, what is going on? why is this boy here? i thought i told you you weren't allowed anybody over!" she spat at josh aggressively.

josh looked down at the green grass, not meeting his mother's eyes. "i-i just wanted to show tyler the treehouse." josh could feel his heart pounding in his chest

"look at me in the eyes, boy! i am very disappointed in you, joshua!" she threw the backpack at tyler, who caught it easily. "you," she pointed at tyler, who looked like he would burst into tears any minute. "leave. now." tyler nodded, fast-walking to the back door to leave.

"joshua, go to your room. i'll punish you later." josh felt a tear fall down his cheek. he didn't realise he was crying. hopefully 'the punishment' wouldn't end like last night. he put his hand to his red and painful cheek. it was still sore.