Chapter Five: Captivity

Start from the beginning

“Now that I just don’t believe,” the hunter remarked before backhanding me hard across the face. I screamed as agony blossomed over my left cheekbone, instinctively reaching my hand up to ease the throbbing pain before I remembered that my wrists were bound behind my back, leaving me vulnerable. A couple tears did escape down my cheeks now, and I tried fiercely to blink back the others.

“Hey jackass! Why don’t you ask me, I’m the one whose actually in his pack, remember?” Erica yelled, struggling against the chains around her arms and legs. The hunter slowly walked over to her, giving me one last glare before he straight-up punched Erica in the face, without warning. Erica didn’t scream, but when the hunter drew back I could see blood trickling from a spot right above her right eyebrow. Within seconds, it had healed to almost nothing. Unfortunately for her, this only acted as encouragement for the hunter who started to focus in on my friend.

“So, pretty eyes, why don’t you tell me about your Alpha, Derek?” he hissed, stroking his hand down the left side of Erica’s face in a sickening caress that made her shudder.

“Well, he’s about six foot, black hair, sort of chronically angry looking?” she said sarcastically, which earned her a hard slap across the face. Although Erica’s cuts and bruises were all healing, I was pretty sure I had a nasty shiner brewing on my left eye.

“And how about you, princess? Can you tell me anything interesting about your boyfriend?”

“He’s great in the bedroom,” I smirked, but my victory only lasted a short two seconds before the hunter’s face grew dark and he hit me so hard that I fell backwards in my chair. I smacked my head against the cement floor, and then everything went black.

Derek’s POV

            “Come on, this way,” I whispered to Isaac, circling around the back of the Argent’s house and approaching the basement door. Just as I was about to peek through the window, my phone vibrated with a text from Dean.

Just heard her scream – she’s in the basement, it read, and I growled darkly. If they’ve so much as laid one finger on my fiancée, I will rip apart every person in this house, I promised silently, leading Isaac to the basement window to look in. Not surprisingly, we could only see the tips of somebody’s dark hair and then, a little further back, Erica’s blonde head. Where’s Chris?

“Do you see Chris?” I asked Isaac in a hushed voice, and he shook his head no.

“But I’m sure if Erica’s in there, so is Chris.”

“You’re probably right. We’re going in,” I snarled, before lashing out with my foot and smashing the window without hesitation. Quick as a flash, Isaac and I jumped down into the basement, hastily taking in our surroundings. We were by the stairs, and Erica was tied to a chair closest to us, with a man crouched down in front of her aggressively. My eyes searched out Chris’s red hair, splayed across the floor from where she lay, also tied to a chair, but on the ground as though she’d been pushed backwards. She was out cold.

            Without having to communicate, Isaac immediately lunged for the hunter, covering his mouth and knocking him out before he could scream and alert the others in the house. Dean’s job was to keep the Argents upstairs occupied so they wouldn’t get suspicious and check on their hostages, so we had to do all we could to make the task easier for him. Simultaneously, I rushed over to Chris, slashing the ropes that bound her and lifting her up into my arms. Her fair skin was bruised all over her face, and there was blood oozing from a cut on the back of her head. Although every nerve in my body was aching to go over to the hunter and tear him to shreds, I let Isaac take care of him quietly and a little more professionally. Then he released Erica and together, the three of us managed to get Chris’s limp form up and out of the basement window without attracting any attention. Unfortunately for us, the minute we got above ground, we were faced with three hunters who must’ve been doing rounds or something. In an instant, I shoved Chris into Erica’s arms and took up a protective stance in front of them. Isaac snarled, completely wolfing out and attacking the first hunter while the second two came after me and Erica. My emotions fueled the adrenaline rush in my body now as I lashed out and knocked the two men unconscious within seconds. Again, I squelched the urge to rip their throats out with my claws in favor of scooping Chris back into my embrace and sprinting to the safety of the car. I didn’t know how long she’d been out but I did know she needed to see a doctor as soon as possible. We all piled into the car and stalled just past the Argents house to wait for Dean, who came jogging down the street not two minutes later.