Chapter Four: Separation

Start from the beginning

“Sure,” I replied, standing in front of the desk uncertainly. Mr. Byrd had his back against it, leaning with his arms stretched behind him. With his tanned skin, cropped brown hair, and chocolate brown eyes, Mr. Byrd was definitely one of the most attractive male teachers at Beacon Hills High.

“How’s Erica been doing? I’m worried since she’s been sick for so long.” Considering we’d each missed about a month of school, Derek had devised cover stories for Isaac, Erica and me. I’d had a “death in the family” and was on leave of absence, which wasn’t far from the truth. Erica had “caught a bad stomach bug” and was supposedly still very sick. Isaac had “gone up to visit family in Los Angeles” but was back now. As far as excuses go, they’d each worked just fine but now people were starting to talk about Erica not being back yet. A month was a long time to be out sick, but now it was going on five weeks and rumors were spreading that she was pregnant. Oh the irony, I thought wryly.

“Um, as far as I know she’s on the mend but not quite there yet. She’ll probably be back next week or so,” I answered as vaguely as I could, trying not to promise anything. Truth be told, I didn’t know when Erica would be able to handle coming back to school, but maybe it would do her some good to see Mr. Byrd. He was her anchor, after all. If she feels the same way about him that I do about Derek…maybe he could stop by?

“Well that’s good,” Mr. Byrd said, trying to seem professional and polite. 

“Listen, Mr. Byrd. I know you and Erica have a thing going on, and I know you love her. Why don’t you stop by tonight and visit her? I’m sure she’d really appreciate it,” I cut to the chase, trying not to make my teacher uncomfortable. His face flushed red, and his mouth opened and closed like he was going to retort something but decided not to.

“Um, I don’t know what you’re-“

“Save it, please. Erica told me. So how bout it?”

“Uh, okay, sure. Does seven work for her?”

“Yeah, I’ll let her know. Thanks,” I sang, waving goodbye to Mr. Byrd and backing out of the classroom before he could ask me just how much I knew about their relationship, a question I did not want to answer.

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

            “Chris, please talk to me,” Derek said to me over the phone while I went through the lunch line with Isaac. I had my iPhone wedged between my ear and my shoulder as I carried my red tray laden with a Caesar salad, mashed potatoes, a slice of pepperoni pizza, and an orange Fanta over to a relatively empty table.

“I told you already, Derek, there’s nothing to talk about,” I snapped, setting my tray down and sliding into a seat beside Isaac and some other guys from the lacrosse team. Alice came over, happily plopping down into the seat across from me and almost immediately striking up a flirtatious conversation with Isaac. I rolled my eyes, turning my body so I could hear my fiancé better.

“Please Chris. I know something’s wrong, you’ve been avoiding my calls all day.”

“That’s because I had class!”

“Come on, I know you’re mad at me. Can’t we talk about this?”

“No, Derek, because what I have to tell you will just make you upset! And I don’t wanna ruin your special day with your sister,” I spat, angrily hitting the end button and returning to the group conversation. Alice’s boobs were pushed up onto the table, attracting the attention of almost every guy around us; even Isaac could barely look her in the eyes.