Down to Earth - Jasper Hale (Twenty-Six)

PART TWENTY-SIX

***

"This is awesome!" I exclaimed, hopping off of Jasper and examining my surroundings. He had brought me to a clear opening in the forest, where there was a little patch of nothing but tufts of grass and a few flowers. And surrounding the area where the open field was, was what surrounded Forks everywhere you went. Trees!

"I know. I found it one day while walking around, gathering my thoughts. It's great for hunting to," He smirked, licking his lips teasingly.

"That poor deer you mauled like a fat kid and the ice-cream truck!" I threw my head back in laughter, evil almost.

He chuckled then grabbed my hand gently, pulling me to the dead center. I dropped to the ground and laid back in the grass to watch the different shape clouds. "Aren't they lovely?" Jazz whispered. I could tell he was looking at me by the tone of his voice.

"Yeah. I love the one shaped like bunnies, they're so innocent. Nothing too bad could happen to them except maybe you would kill them." Came my reply, making him chuckle effortlessly.

"Why does being a vampire make people perfect?" I suddenly wondered, looking from the bunny cloud I named Ken, to his handsome face.

"I don't really know. You don't change all too much, just like you're dead but, er, souless? Don't make me answer, I'm not the best with explanations.

I smiled warmly at him. "Nah, you just choose not to be. Jesse's the one that majorly sucks at it, believe me! Once when I was seven he tried to explain to me how to use the microwave and we nearly torched our house! He forgot to mention to take the tin-foil off..." I trailed off, remembering that day. Back then, Jess had a bowl cut and I was sporting Dora. Not pretty, I tell you! Ugh, I had the worst choppy bangs that mother thought were, and I quote, 'cute.'

Now, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork that Cody Simpson ate off of. I hate that kid as much as the next Beiber-lover. It's my secret guilty pleasure for music! I can't help it, the dude as a romantic voice, I'm not even going to lie!

"I bet that was fun to clean up! You were seven and trying to use the microwave? That wasn't a good idea, Jay. Just saying." He commented, being very sardonic. I guess he really is learning from me!

I winked at him, "What do you expect from us? We were seven! And he still acts like a baby, but I sure do love that kid. Always there for me, kinda like you lately."

The feeling in the air turned a bit tense after those words, I actually felt more comfortable. Joking around too much is the story of my life, this is a nice change. "Yes, I've noticed that, too. We just seem to trust each other more than we should, according to Edward."

I cocked my eyebrow, per usual, and gave a humorless laugh. "Edward can stay out of my business. Such a hypocrite! Damn, just 'cause he reads minds doesn't make him king!"

Edward Cullen, High King of Pricks.

Nice ring to it, eh? Whatever, I think it's rather fitting for my oh so favorite snowflake!

Jasper's deep laughter brought me out of my mental blubber. "I agree. He and Bella were no better, so I say we're fine. I actually did want to talk to you about something serious." And there went the light air, it was more heavy now.

"Okay, shoot." I waited for him to speak for a few seconds, but nothing happened for a good solid ten minutes. Comfortable silence that I could play with the flowers by.

"Jamie, I'm your mate." He spoke in an undertone that he only used if he was beyond dead serious.

The first thing that came into my line of thoughts is the most o obvious. 'Hell yeah!' "How come I didn't imprint on you, though?" I pondered the subject after five more minutes of welcoming silence.

"You were my mate already, it's impossible to imprint if you're already bonded." Jasper explained, acting like this wasn't a very complicated and perplexed subject. It is, just for your 411!

"Oh... That makes since." I stupidly said, staring at an elegant purple flow in the soft grass. The sun moved from behind a cloud and shone on Jasper's solid skin, making it sparkle under it's rays.

"What do you think?" He asked, a flare of raw hope in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I quizzed, being purely confused. If he was asking if I was shocked, go ahead and put a freakin' check in that box. If I loved him for sure? Check. Check. Check. Check. Oh! Hey, did I forget CHECK?

"Do you accept?" I wanted to shout, 'Of course!!!' but I chose something on the neutral side.

"A million times yes!" I lunged at him, kissing him like I never had before. Mostly because I only had once, but it's good enough for me!

I loved how he didn't call me a blood singer. No offense to everyone that's in love with the word, but to me it feels over used and emotionless, so naturally the empath calls me his mate. Exactly what I'd expect from MY mate.

We erupted into uncontrollable laughs, in the end, me ending up laying my head on his stomach while he watched the sky, like I had returned to.

"Hey, Jazz? Guess what." I questioned, a sly smile sitting on my lips.

Jasper grinned at me. "What?"

"I. Love. You."

He smiled broadly, making me feel elated. "Hey, Jay? Guess what?"

I played along for a few seconds, pretending I was in deep thought, then dramatically gave in. "What?"

"I. Love. You. Too." I giggled, reaching my hand for his, as we watched the sun set slowly. The sky was purple now, the color of the flower that I couldn't even see anymore.

I closed my eyes, seeing everything get fuzzy and blurred. I gripped Jasper's hand until I was asleep in Jasper's arms again.

And some how, I didn't mind at all.

***