Life in the Fastlane - Jasper Hale (Twenty-Two)

PART TWENTY-TWO

***

"No you won't! Jasper was busting not to rip your dad from you!" Bella exclaimed at me, letting go of the steering wheel and staring at me. I didn't even question her actions, Jesse beat me to the punch.

"What the hell? If you wouldn't mind, I'd kind of like to live!" He barked, his eyes where the size of a fish eye lens, which was pretty damn cool! I love mine.

"Shut up! I'm in the middle of a conversation!" I yelled at him. "Goah!"I spat, going back to Bella.

"I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking like that. It's Jasper, let's be real. He wouldn't say something like that." I mumbled, secretly hoping she would prove me wrong.

"I wouldn't put it passed him, he really cares for you. More than you know." She countered, giving me a knowing look that symbolized she knew something I didn't. It pisses me off!

"I know all I need to. Go back to driving before Jesse tucks and rolls outta here." I responded to her, my eyes made sure to cut holes in her skin.

I know it's pretty damn obvious that I like Jasper more than I should. In fact, if you don't know, you're the village idiot of Forks, Washington. "Yeah! What she said!" Jesse argued pitifully. That kid is so high sometimes.

In the blink of an eye, my dark feelings of the raw emotions over took me and I had to actually hold on to the side of the car to keep from choking on the sudden rush. "Where's Rose?" I asked, trying to distract myself from the hole in my heart.

"Home. Here we are, so go talk to Carlisle, he knows more than me." She defended, almost ignoring my original question. I chose not to say anything since I was already treading in murky water.

I didn't give her an answer, just stumbled out of the car with my sorry excuse for a box of my possessions. Jess and I made our way to the front door where Edward was already standing, smirking. "Don't even start."

He laughed lightly and walked back into the house, still laughing airily. Douchezilla! 'That's not very nice, I'm offended!' He internally cried.

No, I'm not going to let him get under my skin. He's just being nosy, don't reply. So, I didn't. "Jamie, Jesse would you please join me in my office?" Carlisle interjected, probably sensing me about to snap Edward in half.

I nodded thankfully while Jesse walked up the stairs to Carlisle's office with me in suit. I sat down in one if his brown chairs in front of the ancient desk where Carlisle's papers from work were stacked.

"So what's up with papa bear?" Jesse asked like an innocent five year old, I know he wants to avoid the seriousness of the situation. But sometimes you just have to stare the problem dead in the eye, whether you enjoy it or not.

"I'll get to that in a minute. Edward and I were wondering why your Father is a werewolf when Billy Black isn't, since there were no vampires that we know of around. Earlier before you left he said that he was a different breed and much stronger, then he left looking angry. From that small statement, and some of the blood the both of you left on the grass and trees, we did a quick scan with one of my machines in the back room." He explained, about to get back to the good part.

Wow. So I'm not the same kind of wolf as the boys, I'm different. That sounds just splendid, now doesn't it?

"We ran the tests, so now we know that you have vampire and wolf blood because of the peculiar smell and tint of the blood. Jesse, we would like to do a test on you, if that's okay. And then I'll talk to Jamie alone." He concluded, smiling like a father. Even if he wasn't the best smelling, I felt comfortable and safe. Wanted.

"Sure, just don't take half my blood, I kinda need it. Where do I go? The coffin?" He laughed, getting out of the chair and meeting Edward at the door.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" We resumed after Jesse and Edward had left. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't help but wonder where Jasper could be. I really wanted to talk to him.

"There's a lot to cover, but the one that's the most important at the moment is that your Father," He paused and sighed with a sad look flashing across his features. "He's disowning you." Then came the slap of silence.

That's a low blow.

That's below the belt.

My throat was suddenly parched, my breathing was turning into short, hyperventilated breath that came out ragged. The beat of my heart became faster, the blood rushed to my head. I no longer have a family.

No mother. No father. Brother taken away?

"What about Jesse?" I whispered, closing my eyes shut to stop the tears from falling.

What the hell am I going to do without Jess?

"He decided to keep him." His soft reply came.

"He can't. I won't let him! There's got to be a way! Please! Something, anything?" I shrieked, not being able to hold it back.

"It's up to Jesse, and there's something else I have to tell you." He commented, reminding himself. If this subject wasn't so horrible, I think he'd be smiling.

"Does it get worse?" I pouted.

"Sort of. From the looks of your bloodline, you have wolf and vampire blood." He repeated. His voice was suddenly low and dangerous, deadly even.

"Yeah, but why's that such a big deal? I'm just more wolf." I informed, wrinkling my eyebrows in confusion.

He nodded, "Correct. But you do have a choice to make. It's rather simple. Vampire or wolf?"

"Why can't I be both?"

"Think of why you can't. Emmett informed me of Adam, why you had to come in that day. He's a vampire and obviously after your blood. If you have both, your scent will be easier to smell, so please chooose as soon as possible, for your safety." Then, without another word between us, he upped and left the room, leaving me to soak in my thoughts.

"How the he'll did this get so complicated?"

***