The Goldfish Thief

PART FIVE

[EDITED]

***

I lied. Stitches hurt like a bitch. 

"Just one more, Jamie. Just close your eyes and hold my hand." Jasper's smooth whispers encouraged me to keep calm and focus on nothing but him.  I was currently sitting in a small white room having Carlisle, Jasper's adoptive father, stitch four stitches up on my scalp. My eyes were squeezed shut fiercely, wanting the pain to just be over with already. It felt like an eternity had gone by while I sat in a hospital being sewn up like a rag doll. It was a horrible, piercing pain that made it hurt to think, breathe and even look at Jasper. What a travesty!

I felt the needle go in and come out one last time, indicating the torture was over. "All done, Miss Maverick. Now, in about a week or two I'll need to see you again to remove them." Carlisle informed me as I slowly hoisted myself from the plastic, white chair that had actually began to hurt my butt. I nodded my head to the doctor to let him know that I had heard his diagnosis.

Carlisle Cullen seemed to be in his mid to late thirties, had alabaster skin like Jasper, and light blonde hair that was slicked back in a proffesional style, making him appear to be slightly older. Jasper's freezing hand found my waist as he helped me to stay in place. The electricity soared, and I tried to ignore it for upteenth time. Since I had a headache and my vision was still a tad bit blurred, I needed the guidance. "Thanks." I grinned up at him.

Carlisle turned around and smiled down at me, "It was nice meeting you, Jamie. I hope to see you soon, just not here." He lightly chuckled, his voice was elegant, too. What was with that? And the eyes! I really am going to figure this out- even if it kills me! Not. I don't want to know that bad...

"The pleasure was all mine, Dr. Cullen. Especially not for these loathesome stitches!" I whimpered teasingly. Jasper just chuckled and thanked his adoptive father for his services before slowly guiding me through the many floors and hallways of the hospital. We finally made it outside and back into the oh-so shiny Volvo. 

For the first time in about three hours, I turned my phone back on and looked at my messages. I had one from my mother reminding me to go to Sam's, like 20 from Jesse wondering where the hell I went and ten from Adam, trying to apologize. I groaned, not exactly what I wanted to deal with. I only replied to Jesse's, as you should have guessed.

"I'm assuming Jesse's worried?" Jasper asked, breaking the comfy silence between us.

I nodded, locking the phone again. "Yeah, knowing him, he probably thinks some bear mauled the both of us at lunch." I laughed, imagining the expression on Jess's face when he puts the worst scenarios in his head. "I'm supposed to be going to the rez, so could you drop me off at First Beach?" I questioned, hoping I wouldn't have to go back home only to leave immediately after.

"Sure, you promise you'll tell me if anything happens with Adam?" He replied. The last part was a bit odd, but not unnecessary. I understand where he's coming from with his concern.

"Definitely. He won't try anything, though. I've taken care of it for now." I reassured him. Honestly, I knew he would say something else, I just didn't want to anger or worry him any further. I'd had enough dramatics for one day.