Prologue

It's coming for you again.

The old man looked up, green eyes glowing as he smiled to himself.

Of course it was. He could already feel it. The crawling sensation in his chest as it approached, once again there to finish what they'd started.

As if this time would make a difference.

He peered out into the darkness of his room, heart pounding faster in his chest and droplets of sweat forming on his forehead.

It wasn't alone, much like he'd anticipated. Something else was there. Someone else was there. Not just the unhallowed monstrosity, but a human as well.

A pawn.

Someone to do its bidding. Someone with the same unfortunate fate as him who'd allowed themselves to be swayed by the creature's promising words. Another piece for the endless collection.

It was so tragic the man couldn't help but scoff. They would all end up that way. Given a miserable amount of years to live out the contract, and then be slain by the next in line. That was how it worked. An unending, depraved game they kept playing, those wicked scourges of the Waste.

Or rather, that was how it was supposed to work, but this man had much to live for still. His research, his art, his creations. He couldn't let the Waste swallow him just yet. He needed more time.

And all he had to do was give this pawn the same treatment as the other ones before it.

So he lifted the poker from the old fireplace and peered at it through glowing eyes, drawing a breath as footsteps approached from behind.

They were almost upon him.

He already had the upper hand. He always did. No one who entered the room was nearly as prepared as he was, so he just waited. He didn't even bother turning around as the door opened behind him.

So pitiful. He wondered what this one had been offered. What they'd sacrificed their soul for only for it to be taken away so quickly.

How much had they weighed their soul to be worth?

Finally he turned his head to the side, glancing towards the door where a silhouette had appeared and he smiled once again, inhaling a trembling breath as he opened his mouth.

"Welcome back."