Chapter 8: To be a drechess

Lucius almost tripped over a large tree root as he followed Claudia and Mabel through the forest just outside of South Kerilia. He'd rarely visited the forest. Not when he lived in Wyrmdon, and not since he escaped to his current home. While the path they walked on was somewhat clear there were still some obstacles here and there, hidden by tall grass and flowers. People couldn't have used the path in a long time. What was worse were the countless stinging nettles brushing against his legs from time to time, making him feel even less motivated to do whatever they were doing out there.

"What could you possibly have to show me all the way in here?" he had to ask as he stopped to scratch a nettle rash. Mabel stopped walking.

"You'll see, we're almost there!"

"Better be," he muttered under his breath.

Claudia used her crowbar to fight away a couple of twigs. She was rarely seen without it unless she was hiding it in a big bow on the back of her dress.

Mabel jumped back so the twigs wouldn't lash her face. Lucius was fortunately out of reach. He squinted ahead and thought he saw light further down the path. The girls sped up and he did his best to follow along without tumbling over.

"What do you have to say now?" Mabel yelled back at him as she sprinted out into a meadow. Lucius covered his eyes from the sun and looked around. There was a small lake there as well. He had to smile. Perhaps it had been worth the walk after all.

"I'm impressed," he admitted. "How did you find it?"

"We heard that people could chew resin kind of like a treat," Claudia explained. "So we thought we'd gather some. Especially for the children, you know?"

"But then Sam advised against it." Mabel threw her hands up and shook her head.

"Said our teeth will fall out." Claudia looked more frustrated than disappointed. Lucius pursed his lips. Samueli was probably right.

"Still, look at this place," Claudia continued and spun around in the grass. "Not so shabby compared to the Entrails, is it?"

"I feel so free here!" Mabel shouted from further away.

"Oh? Where have you been held prisoner, Drechess Mabel?" Claudia shouted back, and Mabel threw herself into the grass.

"I was captured by the tragic fate of dwelling the Entrails, and I've been unable to escape since!"

"Here." Claudia picked up a smaller branch. "Let me put you out of your misery, your Drechess!"

Mabel squealed and rolled away through the grass as Claudia chased after her with the stick. Lucius let out an airy laugh and ran after them. It really was a pretty great place, and the air was actually fresh. As he almost caught up to Claudia he slowed down. He couldn't see Mabel after all and it'd be unfortunate to step on her.

Suddenly a pair of hands grabbed hold of Claudia's breeches and dragged her down into the grass as well. Lucius stopped in his tracks and tried to back away but it was too late. Mabel jumped up and tackled him down as well.

"Well, looks like the nobility has bested the peasants." Mabel wiped dirt off on her skirt and curtsied. "I hereby command you to chew resin and lose all your teeth so you can only eat soup. Forever!"

"If it's an endless amount, sure," Lucius said and stroked along his ribs. They all grew silent for a moment after that.

"Still would've been nice to get something for the children, you know?" Claudia said as the three of them looked up at the thin clouds drifting across the sky. "They're so small but they have to grow up so fast. Just something to brighten up their day would help so much, I'm sure."