Chapter 28: Friendly Fire

For being a supposedly impressive man it was a rather unimpressive house, and Lucius cocked an eyebrow as he studied the plaque on the fence, squinting as the moon barely let any light through the clouds.

"Dr. Nicholas Carner," he mumbled and folded his arms. He'd had enough of doctors recently. All the easier to kill him, he supposed. Though the scourge hadn't specified why it wanted him dead in the first place and that didn't sit well with him.

This isn't some kind of trickery to get me in trouble or accidentally kill an estranged uncle or something I hope?

The crawling sensation bloomed in his chest again and he clenched his jaw to not let the discomfort show.

"I would never guarantee you not getting in trouble, perhaps especially when it's you," the scourge's voice echoed through Lucius' head. "As for the uncle I'd be surprised if you cared even the slightest about relatives at this point."

I guess I'd like to know your motives so I don't end up miserable by doing this.

"You said it'd be easy. That it was just murder."

Lucius sighed, rubbing his temples.

Just answer me.

"It's just for entertainment. When game like you run out of time we usually send new game to hunt you down."

Lucius scowled.

So it's someone who's made a pact with you as well?

"Well, no. Not this time. We're stealing the kill from another scourge."

Lucius couldn't help but let out a snort despite the disturbing conversation. He wasn't fond of the idea of scourges playing around with their patrons' lives like that, but then again they were scourges. What did he expect?

Besides, he'd just cut down anyone who'd come after him.

"I wouldn't let my guard down if I were you just because he's not a... What was it that wolf-beast called you? A glorified thug?"

"Oh?" Lucius mumbled out loud and cocked an eyebrow again as he took a stroll around the area to get a better view of the house, not that it was easy to see through the dark.

"Over the course of the years I've heard he's become a bit... Unhinged."

Unhinged?

"It happens. Some say scourges talking in your head will do that to you."

Lucius shook his head as he scanned the area. He'd believe it.

It was a nicer neighbourhood, sure, but not so nice it'd taken long for Lucius to walk from Fisherman's friend where he'd taken up residence.

So a "nice but also close to the harbor" neighbourhood.

It wasn't an optimal place to break in, he noticed as he'd rounded the house. It was in the middle of a row and no convenient places to hide. The dark was on his side but if he'd learned anything about South Kerilia it was that the streets were never completely empty.

Rounding another corner of the house once again to check for clues in the windows or places to climb up he soon stumbled forward, almost falling over.

"Oh, for the love of—" He spun around, ready to kick the scourgefucking blight cat that kept tripping him, only to realize it was a regular cat scurrying off after the collision.

Lucius pinched his lips together.

Good.

Then he turned around, immediately jumping as he spotted the blight cat just a couple of feet away, staring at him with big, bulging eyes.